Pedal Steel Guitars

stjames

• Members

Who has one (or many)?

Who plays them (in hcfx)?

If I want to buy one, what are my options in terms of budget, features, quality, brands, etc...?

How difficult is it to pick up?

What are effects like with them?

What are the pickups like (are there many options)?

I have more questions, but I don't want to overwhelm this post. I have been so interested in this instrument for so long and I am thinking about getting into it. Someone want to help me out?

• Members

I would really like to get one, but they are quite pricey. I've seen a few vintage 6 string models go for decent prices, and they usually only have two or three pedals, which would make them a bit easier to get used to playing, but I've also heard people say you're better off getting at least an 8 string with a few pedals and knee levers to really be able to do some cool {censored}.

Either way, they are {censored}ing awesome.

My idea is to build a custom lap steel body and use a Hipshot with it somehow - maybe add a palm G bender to it... and a Buzz Stop to help keep the string angle over the bridge solid.

When I saw the Pomona, I was thrilled, and crushed - because I had been in the process of talking about Fender building a CS version of my "lap steel with benders" idea with some interesting design twists on the benders, and obviously we had all been unaware of the Dussey, which is just beautifully done; as soon as I learned about it, the Fender project went out the window, because they obviously had the idea and got it built first. I really like the movable "capo" / nut. That's pretty brilliant too. They really did a nice job on that guitar IMO. Anything we would do would be an also-ran. but the price for a Pomona 6 is well over two grand IIRC, and building a lap steel is actually pretty easy.... which is why the Hipshot idea still appeals to me. Maybe someday. :)

• Members

I used to have a Fender Artist 2x10 that I got off ebay for cheap , that was converted to a 1x10, Nashville E9th tubing, 3 pedals, 4 levers

it was a beast, sounded great, but it just had too much issues, the undercarriage was totally out of whack, I flipped it

I also got a Goodrich sustainer and a volume pedal, you don't need much effects (perhaps a little verb) to get that typical psg sound

it's better to invest in a good bar, volume pedal

also, most pro players stick to solid state amps with huge speakers (Peaveys are popular)

after I sold my Fender, I kind of missed it, so I got a Carter Starter, which is the budget entry level PSG guitar, it works, holds tune, is terribly light and relatively small (if you're tall, you might find it very uncomfortable to play (I do))

learning to play PSG is something else, it is by far the most difficult instrument I ever tried, and there are no psg tutors around these parts, lots of frustrating youtube lessons, I now know it will take me years to learn to play properly, I'm just mostly fooling around on it, and very happy if I discover another lick

there are chord charts that come in handy, because the tuning is really something different, I'm using the standard E9 Nashville tuning

the Carter Starter has fixed copedent, meaning you can't change the setup

there are better entry level psgs out there such as the Zumsteel Stage One, the GFI SM10, Simmons Econ-o-Line, Rains Carpsteel, ...

stay away from vintage psgs (sold for less than 1200$) , a lot of these will need a proper overhaul, and there aren't many psg techs around

for a bit more than 1200$, you get into the Emmons, Sho-Bud, ... but it's at 2000$ where the pro level psgs start, way too much for me

I got my Carter Starter (almost brand new) for 350$ locally, couldn't resist that

and since the Carter dude passed away, the Starter model is discontinued, it will probably become scarce any time soon, there are plenty around still, it's like the Squire Telecaster of PSGs

Archived