Fickle George L's. Other solutions?

Mikoo69

• Members

My pedalboard is wired all George L and I love the sound, the custom lengths and size of the wire/plugs. However, being solderless, eventually some of the cables come loose or cut out a bit and i lose my signal, and have to move the cable around to get the signal going through again.

I'm wondering if there is a solution like George L - where I can get custom lengths and with wire that isn't too thick, so that it is maneuverable around a board - but that is sturdier. We are doing a 35 date tour in August and I want to ensure my pedalboard is as roadworthy as possible and won't ever cut out on me mid set.

• Members

Perhaps just re-do your current ones?

I've got my George L's all higgldy piggldy and never had them cut out on me

That and plus one for the Lavas. I don't know why, but it seems like I see them in pics more than George L's.

no problems here either, but i'm not touring with them.

• Members

I have had problems with George L's in the past. But I bought a set of Felco C7 cable cutters, the kind you use to work on bicycles. They were expensive, around $60 or $70, but I was building a bike anyway. They cut really clean and do not crimp the ends like regular pliers. I redid all my old cables and have not had problems since, that was a couple years. Your local bike shop would have them or something similar or less expensive. I think Park and Pedro's both make pretty good cutters as well.

• Members

I use lavas as well. I have had problems assembling them though... Sometimes the needle gets bent and it goes in crooked where it will pierce through and touch the outer shielding. Make sure to have a multi meter handy when you create them, other then that they are solid. The pancakes are flat but they cause problems on certain pedals like the JamMan Stereo where there's 4 connections close to one another and not enough space. I have had pancakes fail on me mainly because the cable used to construct them wasn't thick enough so it could wiggle around.

• Members

no problems here either, but i'm not touring with them.

Word.

I'm about as hard on em as you could be while stil being reasonable.

Our gear travels in a trailer and we gig a ton. I unpacked at a show in Dayton a couple weeks ago to find everything but my SMMH had come un-velcro'd. :eek: It was a big mess of pedals all dangling and knotted up by their George L's.

Undid them, stuck them back real quick like, no problems.

• Members

from that link above:

The latest offering from Evidence Audio, the Monorail is a .155" diameter low capacitance installation and pedal board cable compatible with numerous solder-type as well as 90% of the DIY solder-free plugs on the market. It features a 20 AWG solid IGLTM copper conductor, 98% spiral shield coverage and is
not intended for use as an instrument cable.

does that just mean they're only intended for small patch cables between pedals?? why cant it be used as an 'instrument cable'?? :confused:

Archived