Fender guitars are strong

RoboPimp

God bless the practical side of Leo Fender, he always seemed to ensure durability and easy repair were integral to his designs. Why not? Sure sounding good is important (I love the sound too fortunately) but shouldn't all guitar companies strive to make an instrument you can take on the road without worrying that it might fall off the guitar stand and fall apart.

Robo tested, fender takes a lickin and keeps on pickin.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Saw SRV stand on his Number 1 and pull up the strings and then let them slam back down before dragging the guitar around the stage. Thing looks like someone buried it in the yard for a hundred years, but he still played it night after night.

Speaking of which, I think Rory Gallagher's strat was stolen and actually buried in someones yard for a few months before it was rescued and returned.

Fenders are tough bastards.

I believe it was found lying in a rain soaked ditch. And my understanding is that the finish was thrashed well before that happened, and the extensive "missing" finish was due to Rory playing it, not from sitting in a puddle of muddy water.

Oh, and... your Fender isn't "beat" unless it looks like this one:

IMG_0204.jpg

• Members
I believe it was found lying in a rain soaked ditch. And my understanding is that the finish was thrashed well before that happened, and the extensive "missing" finish was due to Rory playing it, not from sitting in a puddle of muddy water.

IMG_0204.jpg

Wow...so Phil...is that...you know..."it"?

• Members

IMG_0204.jpg

Yes, the finish was thrashed from Rory's acidic sweat!

• Members

I once dropped my Gibson RD Artist bass face down onto concrete.

Please understand, I was a novice at the time, and had no strap locks on it. The strap anchors at the neck/body joint, and I just pushed it forward a bit when standing in between songs during my first band's practice once. It fell from waist level face down on bare concrete.

I was horrified watching it happen.

I went to pick it up expecting the worst, and having heard for years about Gibsons and their lack of durability. I was surprised when I noticed that it had not snapped in half at all. the tuners on the face of the bass hit first chipping the concrete, and otherwise, there was not a scratch on it. I picked it up and played a few licks after looking it over. It was still in tune. (Granted, this is an all maple bass, mind you!) But still!

Archived