Unless someone knows a better alternative, I'm going to get...

Operator

• Members

your username reminded me that my MP3 deck has this stupid button called "zappin" and whenever you press it it skips through every song every 5 seconds and says ZAPPIN! all excitedly on the display. aggravating -whitewhine.com

brendin264.gif

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I remember when MF was blowing them out for some kind of absurd price like $300. I didn't have any money at the time and have been kicking myself since. From what I've seen, those things sound great.

Its a surprisingly good little amp, could be great with some tweaks. Its basically a 6g3 "Brown" deluxe clone with a few value changes. A little too tight/punchy stock for my tastes, but def. gig worthy, and ptp so its easy to mod to taste. Very loud 20 watts and plenty of headroom.

• Members

your username reminded me that my MP3 deck has this stupid button called "zappin" and whenever you press it it skips through every song every 5 seconds and says ZAPPIN! all excitedly on the display. aggravating -whitewhine.com

I like those sony mp3 decks.

• Members

I have a Blues Jr and I hate it to be honest. I can't explain in words what's missing, just something is missing. Most people love them and they have fantastic cleans, just not my thing. But I have no idea what a Humboldt is so maybe it's a lot betterI tried selling mine a few months ago on Craigslist for 250 bucks and not a single person emailed me.

• Members

I have a blues jr too and it is a good little amp for the right applications. I wasn't really in the market for one of these amps but I found a used one for 180 at gc and got it on a whim. I think it sounds better at lower volumes and I like it for practicing at home, or with a small group of people (2-3) or for recording. It gets too boxy for my tastes when I try to keep up with a full band and also imo it sounds bad with most fuzz pedals, so not something I would want to bring to play a show. I did the twin-stack mod on mine when I first got it and it definitely improved the sound for me and I also had a Jensen c12k laying around so I put that in there instead of the stock speaker and that was also an improvement (but makes the amp quite a bit heavier).

• Members

Heard back from one of the CL Velocette owners. Thing that getting me nervous is all this about their output transformers failing. Sounds common, and that's an expensive fix, from what I've heard. Honky, care to shine some light on the matter?

• Members

Cool. I'm asking the dude if he had the transformer changed out or not. Also asking a local builder about a potential build. I spent some time this weekend playing amps locally, and the most impressive one was actually a late 70s Princeton (no reverb). It sounded pretty damn good, and the price was reasonable. I'm going to keep my eye out for used PRRI's, but I don't know how often they really pop up.

• Members

the sfpr i played was memorable. the reverb was the key though.

Right? I love spring reverb deeply. I have that FRV-1 pedal that I could use, but for the price they were asking for the silverface, I might be able to just get a RI.

Cranked, it had a really cool, gritty drive.

Archived