Barber LTD vs Maxon 808?

t-rey

• Members

Which is better to boost a dirty Marshall-ish amp for heavy rock or the brootz?

I play a Blackstar HT-5 and 2x12 w/ g12t-75s. I have a silver LTD that I have always liked, but I recently saw a video of a guy boosting a Blackstar with an 808 and it sounded way heavier than my setup.

So how similar is the LTD to an 808? The LTD is pretty transparent, so I'm wondering if the tone shaping on the 808 is what I'm hearing (and liking) in that video. The clip is probably double tracked and had some eq added in, so that may account for some of the difference as well. Here's the clip for reference:

aynUeOnDl60

• Members

There's not much more mids on the 808 than the LTD, so I don't really think you'd be noticing that, especially with that much gain. The LTD has more low end, IIRC. Both the 808 and the LTD are voiced "kind of" similarly at the upper volume/gain end of their limits. Lower gain, I prefer the LTD as it's clearer/less muddy, but as a booster for an already pumping amp, I prefer the Maxon for the fullness of the hump.

The Maxon does compress things substantially more on an overdriven amp so it may be that compression and tightness you like.

Never played a Blackstar or brootz so I can't comment on that specific vid, although I will say that double tracking is the wonderbra of audio, especially guitars.

• Members

There's not much more mids on the 808 than the LTD, so I don't really think you'd be noticing that, especially with that much gain. The LTD has more low end, IIRC. Both the 808 and the LTD are voiced "kind of" similarly at the upper volume/gain end of their limits. Lower gain, I prefer the LTD as it's clearer/less muddy, but as a booster for an already pumping amp, I prefer the Maxon for the fullness of the hump.

The Maxon does compress things substantially more on an overdriven amp so it may be that compression and tightness you like

Never played a Blackstar or brootz so I can't comment on that specific vid, although I will say that
double tracking is the wonderbra of audio
, especially guitars.

This is a definite possibility.

And lol.

So what is a good 808? Is the Maxon pretty good or is there some (reasonably priced) booteek option that is even better?

• Members

Yeah, the hottest pickup I have is the Duncan Designed JB knockoff in my Schecter, which is the guitar that gets the best metal toanz.

Doh. Forgot you had that, for some reason I thought you only had the SG w/ P90s. Haha, my bad.

• Members

Doh. Forgot you had that, for some reason I thought you only had the SG w/ P90s. Haha, my bad.

Yeah - the SG gets most of my time, but for the non stoner/fuzzy heavies I have to break out the humbuckers. The higher output pickup talk makes me want a duncan distortion though.

• Members

Yeah - the SG gets most of my time, but for the non stoner/fuzzy heavies I have to break out the humbuckers. The higher output pickup talk makes me want a duncan distortion though.

Dimarzio Super Distortion works pretty good. My favorite pickup in an SG though is the Gibson 500t.

• Members

I loved the LTD better than the silver!!!!

but the 808 would probs be a bit better for that high gain sound. most metal guys are boosting with an ibanez808 so the maxon is probs the better way i can only assume.

LTD sound suuupuurrrbbb with my clean twin.

Archived