Chinese Democracy: What do you think?

Palaver

• Members

Hey guys,

Is anyone else floored by this album? The credits alone are jaw dropping. I am definitely a G'N'R fan... I'm not quite sure if it's G'N'R, it should probably be named the Axel Rose project... but with that being said, I think it *may* be his best work to date.

Excellent songs, great arrangements, great vocals (a couple tunes use the auto-tune a bit heavily - but probably for effect). I am on 3rd listen and it's a solid album from front to back.

I think Axel did it. Hype aside, the album is great. Hopefully, they can all keep it together and support this work. It's a masterpiece. Because of the time and money spent, the album feels more like a greatest hits compilation (I understand that he wrote more than 68 tracks for this project). I am expecting to hear more B-Z side releases over the coming years.

Here is what I think is FANTASTIC:

1) Shackler's Revenge

2) Better

3) Street of Dreams

4) If the World

5) Sorry

6) Madagascar

7) Prostitute

and of course, Chinese Democracy is a fairly strong single.

I'm expecting to hear a lot of backlash due to the time/money spent, and because of Axel being a Diva... but it's good.

No weak tracks... definitely my top pick for 2008, until I hear Scott Weiland's new work.

What do you think? Other big-named releases I've liked so far are Moby's, NIN, and MGMT (I'm not quite sure if that was released late last year, but it's not bad).

Cheers,

PB

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

This is not my genre music but I happened to gig this weekend in Toronto. On the way there I was listening to 107.9 FM and they were playing the whole thing for this past weekend. Some tracks sounded really good for that type of stuff. I was around when they were huge in the late 1980

• Members

From what I heard on the radio it didn't sound quite like the GNR I like.

Kind of different weird noises and randomness. Missing Slash.

However I like weird noises, so I'll probably buy it as myspace and the radio don't count as good listening opportunities.

One of my favorite albums is GNR's "Live Era" double disk set. They do a very nice cover of "It's Alright" (later Sabbath) that's just incredible. One of my favorite live albums, even.

• Members

From what I heard on the radio it didn't sound quite like the GNR I like.

Kind of different weird noises and randomness. Missing Slash.

However I like weird noises, so I'll probably buy it as myspace and the radio don't count as good listening opportunities.

One of my favorite albums is GNR's "Live Era" double disk set. They do a very nice cover of "It's Alright" (later Sabbath) that's just incredible. One of my favorite live albums, even.

I'll have to pick up that 'Live Era' album.

Like I said earlier, it should of been called the Axel Rose Project. However, despite Slash being arguably the 'coolest' guitar player of our generation, I still prefer the work of Buckethead and Robin Finck's on Chinese Democracy. They managed to fit in beautiful top-notch technical work, while remaining melodic at the same time.

That was certainly no easy task.

• Members

despite Slash being arguably the 'coolest' guitar player of our generation, I still prefer the work of Buckethead and Robin Finck's on Chinese Democracy. They managed to fit in beautiful top-notch technical work, while remaining melodic at the same time.

Buckethead rocks! :love:

• Members

Ehhh, being an old GnR fan and all, what's the link to "Keys, Synths and Samplers"?:poke:

I know I should of labeled it 'OT' and I realized that afterwards... however, it is an instrument forum, and how often do we actually talk about artists and songs?

I think the album has some great string arrangments and strong keys parts that 'fill-in-the-space' so to speak.

While it's not directly keyboard related, I don't see the problem with the discussion of an album, and the musicianship involved... plus, I post around here from time to time, and I value and respect many people on this forum.

Why not hear about what other keyboard players think about the most highly anticipated rock album of all time?

Cheers,

Phil B

• Members

Fun Fact:

At one point, Chinese Democracy had a bunch of session work on it by Brain (used to drum for Primus) -- he brought along his Voyager and laid in a bunch of analog synth noises. So, there's your KS&S konnection.

now, whether or not any of those tracks made it to the final release?

I dunno; kind of doubt it. I don't even know if Brain's drumming made it onto the final album. Those 68 songs written for the album probably involved recording, erasing and rerecording some 547 musicians at one point or another...

• Members

After hearing Axl Rose in his live comeback awhile back, his voice was shot, so I'd expect the new album to set a high mark for vocal processing with Autotune. That wouldn't stop me from buying a good album, but I'd think twice about buying tickets to a live show with the state of his vocals.

• Members

After hearing Axl Rose in his live comeback awhile back, his voice was shot, so I'd expect the new album to set a high mark for vocal processing with Autotune. That wouldn't stop me from buying a good album, but I'd think twice about buying tickets to a live show with the state of his vocals.

you're basing all this on just that 1 experience?

• Members

you're basing all this on just that 1 experience?

Did you see that performance? It was shockingly bad. If you've heard him live since then where he actually hit a note or two, then I'd reconsider. I'll always give him another chance if that was just a one-off performance.

• Members

Buckethead announced he would be more comfortable working inside a chicken coop, so one was built for him in the studio, from wood planks and chicken wire.

God bless rock n' roll...

What's the Claypool connection here, is he on this album? Must've got pizaid out the izass, to use the parlance of our times...

Archived