just switched to Power Slinkies and...

JMR

• Members

I dig!

Really percussive attack. Very defined strings. It's kind of nice to play a dropdead riff and have it not turn to mush! Only thing I'm having any trouble with is noodly tapping crap.

• Members

you guys playing 12-14's are tuning down right? I like 11's but thats probably as high as i would go...

I tune to A, yeah. Standard tuning the thickest gauge I'd go would be 12's if I really feel like fighting the strings.

• Members

For a while, when I was really getting into jazzier stuff about a year back, I was using 14-60 with a wound third in standard tuning. Definitely kind of intense, but the resistance, chime, and attack that you gain with your right hand picking attack is really wonderful. However, left hand technique and versatility obviously suffers since vibrato, larger bends, and overall nuance definitely become hindered.

I've worked my way back to an 11-49 (plain third) D'Addario set on a Gibson scale, which I think is ultimately the best middle ground for standard tuning. I've been tempted at times to move back up toward a set of 12-54s, but I'm pretty happy with 11s for the time being.

• Members

you guys playing 12-14's are tuning down right? I like 11's but that's probably as high as i would go...

Are you also one of those people who believe having bigger strings on your guitar in standard tuning will ruin it? I've used 13's in standard on my les paul for a decade now and I have no problems what so ever.

• Members

Are you also one of those people who believe having bigger strings on your guitar in standard tuning will ruin it? I've used 13's in standard on my les paul for a decade now and I have no problems what so ever.

Well it will if you don't set it up :lol:

• Members

Uh... no.

Archived