Bobby D gets Xcited about Xotic pedals -- so get Xperienced, baby! HCFX party demos

Bobby D

• Members

Dig it -- here are some of the XOTIC pedal demos we shot at the HCFX pedal party, with Travvybear & Roquero!

[video=youtube;mrKdEGMEyRs]

[video=youtube;l_vRWhFyUWs]

[video=youtube;eslQiWptRb0]

[video=youtube;llU-QCYq8M4]

• Members

thank you for this Bobby. I have the EP Booster which I love but wondered about the others. Nice to be able to hear them all together like this.

i had a request for a video that has the RC, AC, and BB - all three of them together, and compared/contrasted as well as stacked.

when i gig with them, i am going to use them like this -- RC into AC into BB.......makes the most sense tonally.....

these three pedals make a killer little trio -- but i do really love the PLUS versions of the AC and BB...

[video=youtube;1MfkdgHu71c]

• Members

I was so impressed with the BB Plus through my Marshall that I went out and got one. Killer pedal!

you are SUCH a pedal slut!

i'm really glad you already had the EWS Little Brute Drive, so we could A/B it with the regular Brute Drive.....

and you already have the BB Mid model yes? the BB Preamp with enhanced mids???

the BB Plus did indeed SMOKE with your Marshall -- i think the BB pedal likes the single coil pickups a LOT, and the AC would favor the p90s and humbuckers.

i am in the same boat as Christian -- the AC is my fave so far -- but the BB Plus is a close second. maybe i should just use BOTH, lol......the AC and BB plus, with all the options that BOTH give you, would add up to about a DOZEN variations of dirt between just those two pedals!

• Members

you are SUCH a pedal slut!

i'm really glad you already had the EWS Little Brute Drive, so we could A/B it with the regular Brute Drive.....

and you already have the BB Mid model yes? the BB Preamp with enhanced mids???

the BB Plus did indeed SMOKE with your Marshall -- i think the BB pedal likes the single coil pickups a LOT, and the AC would favor the p90s and humbuckers.

i am in the same boat as Christian -- the AC is my fave so far -- but the BB Plus is a close second. maybe i should just use BOTH, lol......the AC and BB plus, with all the options that BOTH give you, would add up to about a DOZEN variations of dirt between just those two pedals!

Hey D! :wave:

Yes indeed haha I am a pedal slut :love:

I do have the BB MB

I was expecting the BB Plus to sound just like it but it doesn't

I mean you can probably dial the Plus to sound like the MB but the Plus can do so much more and it just ROCKED with the Marshall

I have the EP Booster too, and I am using it BEFORE dirt pedals

Most people use it after but I think it really rocks pushing overdrives and distortions.

Which pedal was it that you played at the party, the BB Plus or AC Plus, that you said reminded you of John Mellencamp's guitarist tone from the 1980s?

I think it was the AC Plus.

I heard some 80s Mellencamp the other day- "Hurts so Good" -and I recall that you played that through the AC Plus or one of the other pedals and it did sound just like the record! :thu:

• Members

AC Plus -- it's the sound of your Mesa MKII cranked up just to the edge of overdrive -- you know that sound - I believe it was Mike Wanchic that played the strat into the boogie with John Cougar -- and the AC Plus got damn close to that exact sound.

next time we get together, we will have to compare the AC Plus to your Mark II Boogie -- I bet we can make them sound pretty similar......

I am just rocking out to the two EWS demos we did -- the Brute Drive and the Little Brute Drive -- I gotta say, in this case, the Little Brute Drive kicked the bigger Brute Drive's ASS......there's something angry and pissed off about that little Brute Drive -- and it's perfect to mate with the EP-3 booster. I would do the same as you -- use the EP-3 up front as a booster, unless i had the RC booster -- but even then, i might put the RC booster at the end of the chain for a final boost, sweetening, and EQ.....

damn -- this Little Brute Drive just SCREAMS with my strat!

[video=youtube;7k4v7oGvJ4A]

the big brother Brute Drive from EWS:

[video=youtube;MbkzPqPI5Dk]

• Members

want the AC+

good work Bobby
:thu:

thank you Benny!

Seif -- they are indeed made in Japan, the EWS pedals -- the Xotic pedals are made in USA, but are distributed by Prosounds Communications in Japan, they have deep roots there. Plus, Xotic Guitars amazing luthier Hiro Miura is Japanese as well.

I have been introduced to some REALLY smoking Japanese guitarists thru the EWS and Xotic video demos they post on their website!

• Members

My MK IIb was the only amp I played in the 80s- toured all over North America and back with that thing and it never gave out! But yeah the AC Plus does get close to the sound.

Yes, the Little Brute Drive carries major cojones :phil:

I too prefer the Little Brute Drive to the bigger Brute Drive. Glad that I brought it to the party!

It seems more open and less compressed than its big brother. Kind of reminds me of the early Van Halen sound. I had set the internal trimmer on the pedal you played to give it more treble.

If you liked the AC Plus you definitely have to try the Barber Burn Unit.

I haven't seen any demo of Barber pedals on your channel but I have the BU, Direct Drive Super Sport, Dirty Bomb and Dual Unlimited and they can kick the ass of pedals that cost two or three times as much!

My pedalboard is pretty much shaping out to be Barber and Xotic/EWS for dirt, Basic Audio and BJF for Fuzz, and Strymon for delays.

Let me know when you want to "party" again Bobby! :thu:

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

Really great demo Bobby D, was looking to get one of the Xotics the AC Booster plus or BB Pre Amp plus, as I play through a Gibson 335 & Carr Viceroy (kinda voiced in the Fender amp style). Was wondering if you really had to choose either pedals which would you choose? As I can't make my mind up wether to get the AC Plus or BB plus?

Archived