Allerian, do you recommend a Wave?

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
I didn't find it to be able to do anything outside the scope of the PC3X

:freak:

FM (Yamaha PM) Synthesis, realtime control morphing, user loadable samples as well as the entire Mellotron library come to mind as notable differences. Plus those kind of weird "between" hybrid patches are way beyond a PC3.

I'm about ready to add you to my "ignore" list. :poke:

• Members

The Nord Wave didn't last. Was rather nice though.

I figured this board wasn't what you were looking for...I think you might have been debating between the Wave and a V-Synth GT. I still recommend that board for weird sample mangling.

• Members

I'll need to see one in person, I think. I may kick myself later for returning the Wave... Not sure. Oh, the other thing that bugged me: there aren't any signed 64-bit drivers, so I had to reboot my computer, press F8, boot in "load unsigned drivers" mode, etc. in order to use the Wave manager.

Not the end of the world, but interrupted my chain of thought enough to make it feel like a chore when it should be a breeze.

• Members

I have a couple questions in regards to both the Wave and Electro 3. I'm very fond of the Nord piano sounds and am at the same time looking for basic sample playback options: Clean looping, the ability to put a basic amp envelope on the sample (basically so I can mess with the release,) volume controlled by velocity. Basic options.

My questions:

1) Can the Wave load Nord piano samples? I'd assume not but what's the story?

2) How functional is sample playback supposed to be in the Electro 3? Can it do the things mentioned above?

I'm not especially in need of the Wave's sample-mangling features, though they seem interesting, as I love Kontakt for messing with samples and I'd really only be looking for playback of those exported sounds with the basic options I've mentioned. I love playing with samples as if they're an instrument. Here's me messing with some Billy Joel "Uptown Girl" samples so you have somewhat of an idea of what I'm talking about.

NOW, assuming neither of the Nords answer positively to the above questions and ignoring my desire for Nord pianos...

3) What do you think would be the cheapest way to do the basic sample playback I'm looking for?

• Members

FM (Yamaha PM) Synthesis, realtime control morphing, user loadable samples as well as the entire Mellotron library come to mind as notable differences. Plus those kind of weird "between" hybrid patches are way beyond a PC3.

This is, of course, mostly true, but with some exceptions:

1. PC3X can do FM, but allows only sine waves as carriers.

2. I see no problems in doing control morphing on PC3X.

3. PC3X has SOME of the most popular mellotron samples, but not the whole library though.

4. I don't know exactly what you mean by "hybrid" patches, but you can freely combine any synthesis elements (samples, VA, FM, waveshaping, etc) within PC3X's VAST environment.

• Members

I have a couple questions in regards to both the Wave and Electro 3. I'm very fond of the Nord piano sounds and am at the same time looking for basic sample playback options: Clean looping, the ability to put a basic amp envelope on the sample (basically so I can mess with the release,) volume controlled by velocity. Basic options.

My questions:

1) Can the Wave load Nord piano samples? I'd assume not but what's the story?

2) How functional is sample playback supposed to be in the Electro 3? Can it do the things mentioned above?

I'm not especially in need of the Wave's sample-mangling features, though they seem interesting, as I love Kontakt for messing with samples and I'd really only be looking for playback of those exported sounds with the basic options I've mentioned. I love playing with samples as if they're an instrument.
's me messing with some Billy Joel "Uptown Girl" samples so you have somewhat of an idea of what I'm talking about.

NOW, assuming neither of the Nords answer positively to the above questions and ignoring my desire for Nord pianos...

3) What do you think would be the cheapest way to do the basic sample playback I'm looking for?

The Wave doesn't do velocity-mapped samples, that is to say, it doesn't play different piano layers depending on the velocity. It'll play back the same sample at different volumes. Now, you can do some morphing tricks by tying the filters to the velocity that can help, but no, it's not the same as a Stage.

I really wouldn't consider the Wave to be a general-purpose sampler, either. It doesn't sample without preformatting the samples using your computer.

What it does do is allow you to make neato-keen new sounds on the fly based upon the samples you've loaded. It's an immediate, fun, great-sounding instrument. Like most Nord stuff, if it's what you're looking for, it's near-perfect.

• Members

1. PC3X can do FM, but allows only sine waves as carriers.

If we're picking nits, the Kurzweil synths don't implement FM as Phase-modulation like Yamaha does on their synths, making many timbres impossible on the PC3X.

2. I see no problems in doing control morphing on PC3X.

Except that morph groups are pr

Archived