Allerian, do you recommend a Wave?

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I always recommend people to get what they GAS for. Because GASing brings up other synths and you get distracted when you have that dough burning holes. I personally like the V-synth, but have heard too many people use it to glitch out and I don't like the harsh digital quality I hear. Sometimes I do and I think it's a great synth. I would easily get a V-Synth GT, the extras on that make it much more expressive. Awesome! But from what I've heard of the Wave, it's more of a players instrument with a VA base, where the V is all sample based.

It's nice to look at both, but you'll really know what you want if you listen to some youtubes and clips. It also depends if you like the SH201 or Nord sound more. The V synth I will say can do some crazy things especially with vocal patches and has a lot of good instruments. Very nice and sounds good, no glitch. It's just it seems easy to get glitchy digital, so if that's what you like it's a great pick. The Wave I don't think is more than a VA/ sample player. It sounds good and is probably more straight-forward, but can be quite expressive as well. Tough decision.

Guest Anonymous
GC isn't the best environment.

I just got back from GC and there was a customer there they call fat Hendrix. He's a great guitar player but, plays really loud and loves to try out lots of amps for like 3 hours at a time. Then he leaves without buying anything.

:facepalm:

He was so loud and annoying my friend that works there decided to take lunch early. At least I got a great deal on a pedal before he split.

:thu:

DLP. The V-Synth GT has...

Multiple forms of advanced synthesis under the control of a friendly, icon-driven interface
New AP (Articulative Phrase) SYNTHESIS technology models the performance behavior and nuance of musical instruments
Includes Roland

• Members

That's what I like to hear - thanks, Mark! I knew GC was throwing me off. Maybe it's their lighting. Or, perhaps, that everything it covered in a layer of I-don't-want-to-know-what from a plethora of teenage excretions.

Can the V-Synth live without a computer, in theory? The Wave sort-of needs one to be useful, it seems.

Oh, and, sorry for all the questions, but -- is the V-Synth GT fairly recent, or is it likely to be upstaged anytime soon?

Guest Anonymous
Just been digging into the PC3X. My goodness, that's a hard act to follow. Kurzweil is
:love:

The VA in the PC3 peaks my interest but, not the rompler sounds. I had a K2000, PC2 and PC2R and never really bonded with them. Damn I wish Kurzweil would release the VA-1.

:mad:

I use the V-Synth GT without a computer except to transfer samples via USB.

• Members
Just been digging into the PC3X. My goodness, that's a hard act to follow. Kurzweil is
:love:

:wave:

Its cool isn't it? I've just been loving the VAST stuff and effects chains, just stunning. I got mine after seeing you buy one then doing a little research, would never have considered it normally. But it is just awesome. The first synth that has blown my mind in a while in terms of beautiful sounds... :love:

Interestingly, I have checked out the V-Synth XT and GT quite a bit. I personally prefer the interface on the XT and original V-synth. I'm not convinced the GT is that much better (granted the increased polyphony etc is cool). Besides, the XT has the D50 card in it, which is unavailable for the GT.

• Members

I had an original v-synth for a short while. From what I remember the build quality was kind of sort a little bit {censored}ing awful garbage. But really though I remember it being not great, then again maybe that's because I'm used to Kurzweils and had just spent a lot of time with an A6 (what a sponge like me was doing with an A6 I'll never know). I think around that time I had or recently had a Virus, EMX-1, Micorwave XT, along with a Kurz and an A6, and the V-synth -maybe I was just hallucinating or otherwise haven't done enough free form jazz gigs to have a legitamate opinion- was several leauges below that specific sea of machinery.

On the plus side though, I didn't care for the sound.

Guest Anonymous

FWIW. Kurzweil and Korg synths have more of a happy new age electronic sound to them with Kurzweils being too natural sounding in the acoustic area for the stuff I do. Roland synths and Yamaha Motifs have a lot of great electronics sounds in them with Rolands having hyped up acoustic sounds which I have always loved. Enjoy the Kurzweils.

GODDY

• Members

-Yes, the V-Synth operates independent of a computer. I mainly use my computer for audio and midi recording. The V-Synth has a PCMCIA slot and I use a PCMCIA to Compact Flash adaptor card ($10) and a relatvely small CF card. I have several patch libraries loaded on the CF card. I used my computer memory card interface to load the patch libraries on the CF card. The V-synth has menus to navigate the CF card for selecting and loading the different projects.

The V-Synth GT has been out for 1 year now (IIRC). It has USB so you can use a standard USB thumb drive and it loads data faster than the older V-Synth.

Mrk

• Members
DLP, I think a Wave will suit you very nicely.
;)

Listen to my demo again if you need any more prodding...nothing but Nord Wave with no outboard FX:
http://carbon111.com/nordwave.html

FWIW, I liked the original V-Synth quite a bit and will probably get a rack version down the road a ways...

i liked that ode to h.p. lovecraft you have on that page you linked. that tiny chtulhu by your nord wave was neat too. i'd be concerned though that when the stars are right, tiny cthulhu will awake and devour your nord wave. la cthulhu fhtagn.

Archived