Sabbath Vol. 4

warioblast

• Members

Like others said: Orange amps, a Rangemaster and SGs.

A key ingredient is his use of very thin strings, 08s to 38 maybe, and tune down to C#. Yes, that low.

He did it because of his chopped of finger. The loose fell and tone of the strings are important for his sound.

• Members

I always thought that Black Sabbath never used Orange amps. The Paranoid and Ironman videos are from a German TV show, Musik Laden, aka The Beat Club, which used an Orange backline. I've seen other acts using the same backline on the same show.

It would be interesting to find out exactly what was used on the Vol 4 session in the US.

• Members

He didn't play orange amps really. They made him on that tv show occasionally.

Haha! yeah, difficult to tell what he used in the studio...

Never heard about the "Disco" story though.

Facts are, that there are tons of pics from that time showing him with orange amps, sometimes with marshalls. Iommi later claimed to have used Laneys for recording since the beginning, but they endorsed him for a while so maybe it's not totally true... ;)

Anyway, those late sixties, early seventies british amps are not that different gain wise imho. Some break up earlier, some later due the nature of the circuits. I'd say the dallas rangemaster is important with any of them because the gain is pretty dark and they are very bassy when cranked.

The thing with the strings is very important.

Oh and I skip Changes everytime!

• Members

I'd like to see these pics.

After some research, I admit that I was wrong, sorry.

The only pics showing Iommi with Oranges are from the german show Beat Club, indeed! I found sources saying that he used jcm 800s but they came out in 1980.

So it must have been like this: Iommi used Laney Supergroups, except for Masters of Reality when he used Laney Klipps.

I couldn't verify the quote that he hates Oranges. When is he supposed to have said this?

Archived