Sabbath Vol. 4

warioblast

• Members

Around that era it was all Laney amps - he got them free from what I've read and they modified them for him. He dabbled with Marshalls in the very early days and later in the 80's. Think I saw a clip of him doing a 'Hot Licks' bit where he is using Mesa Boogies.

Guitar wise, SG's mainly. Heard he used a strat to begin with when recording 'Black Sabbath', but the neck pickup failed so he switched to his back up SG. A luthier in Birmingham made him some custom SG's in the 70's with 24 frets and swappable pick ups through the back of the guitar. What I found most surprising is his use of regular and hot rodded P90 pick ups.

Effects - just a rangemaster and a parachute wah for that time.

• Members

In the 'paranoid' video, I think he's playing an sg through a couple of Ornage halfstacks... he always plays sg's, I think...

In fact he never played Oranges, judging from his words. These are just the only amps that were in the studio where they shot a video.

• Members

He also has a Laney signature head. The specs are a bit crazy:

The GH100TI is equipped for out and out metal with 5 stages of gain permanently engaged and several cunning high gain modifications, this amplifier is the ultimate partner to one of the most influential players of all time.

http://www.laney.co.uk/show_prod.php?prod=gh100ti

:eek:

Archived