Anyone here run or jog or yog?

Operator

• Members

I need some advice. I have a lot of endurance for low-impact cardio exercises. For example, when I had a gym membership I used the elliptical machines and could push myself as long as I wanted to. But when I run, I find myself unable to sustain it for that long. Why would this happen? Does anyone have any advice? I can't really afford to join the gym again, but I need to get back in shape.

• Members

doods i duno. but ellipticals are for pussies, is the bottom line. running/jogging is the real exercise, so obviously you will be feeling that a lot more.

its like doing 50 'girl' pushups on your knees vs doing 50 'real man' pushups in your index fingers

shaolin_monk_balances_on_2_fingers-SANIT

• Members

I need some advice. I have a lot of endurance for low-impact cardio exercises. For example, when I had a gym membership I used the elliptical machines and could push myself as long as I wanted to. But when I run, I find myself unable to sustain it for that long. Why would this happen? Does anyone have any advice? I can't really afford to join the gym again, but I need to get back in shape.

Running is 10x different than using an Elliptical. Just like running on a Treadmill is different on the body than running outside. Start with short lengths, and build up as time goes on. Just because you're not running 5 miles a day, doesn't mean you aren't getting back in shape.

• Members

you're probably running too fast and expecting too much of yourself. its a common mistake for beginners and one ive made myself.

I would try starting with a mile / mile and a half at a slow jog and run at a pace where you can still hold a conversation. I used the 5k program on runkeeper with my iphone which helped me get started:

http://runkeeper.com/fitness-classes

I bought a book on heart monitor training a week or two ago and that basically spells out the problem ive mentioned. most people run too fast and burn out or get injured. You dont need to kill yourself to get fit.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Heart-Monitor-Training-Compleat-Idiot/dp/0915297256

• Members

Google "Couch to 5k" and start there. I started that program 10 months ago and now run can easily run 5k. The past 2 months I have been getting more serious about running and am finding that it just gets easier and easier (a quick lunchtime 5 warmup/20 jog/5 cooldown run is a breeze).

• Members

is an answer other than "you're out of shape" necessary?

when i quit smoking about 2 years ago, i started running to minimize on the explosive weight gain that usually follows. it took me about two weeks to run a mile without stopping; then again that's after about 4 years of not doing any physical activity.

the longest i ran without stopping this year's 7.5 miles; it's not a marathon, but eventually you'll get into it.

• Members

Two different animals as everyone else has said. Take it slow, get some good shoes, eat better, don't beat yourself up about it. I transitioned from soccer to long distance running between HS and college and it still wasn't easy given the obvious similarities. My body took a beating on the road as oppose to grass. Plus, there's not as many stop/starts and walking as there is in soccer. I had to work up the endurance for road as well as for the distance, speed, and continuous running.

If you have some endurance going for you already, I may not take you as long to ramp up...plus as long as the desire is there, it will happen. Good luck!

Archived