Looking for a small amp - advice needed.

ambient

• Members

On my radar so far from the local ebay substitute all around a similar price (

Peavey Classic 20

Laney Lionheart L5t-112

Marshall Class 5

Vox AC4TV8

Vox AC4 Mini

Vox Lil Night Train

Blackstar HT-1R

Fender Champ 600

Gretsch Electromatic G5222 (apparently a fender champ 600 with a different cab.)

VHT Special 6 (none available right now)

I'm looking for a small tube amp that will sound good clean/gritty/with pedals in my apartment. I'd like to be able to throw a mic in front and have it sound good enough for recording too.

A good point about the Marshall, lil Night Train and Blackstar is the headphone output - which would be useful at night etc even if it doesn't sound the best.

The peavey, laney and marshall might just be big enough to get away with using with a quiet band. Dunno if that means they're unusable at the low volumes I'll need most of the time though.

Any opinions, suggestions or insults are appreciated.

TL;DR - I need a small but good sounding amp; tell me what to do.

Cheers

• Members

VHT special 6 is a good call. The Marshall class 5 takes a lot of volume to get it to naturally drive. Also instead of the Laney Lionheart look at the VC15 they do. I tried both and preferred the sound of the VC15 even though it's cheaper. Solid amps Laney. They do those cub ones now too.

• Members

VHT special 6 is a good call. The Marshall class 5 takes a lot of volume to get it to naturally drive. Also instead of the Laney Lionheart look at the VC15 they do. I tried both and preferred the sound of the VC15 even though it's cheaper. Solid amps Laney. They do those cub ones now too.

The reason the VHT is there is because I saw a 2nd hand auction that ended yesterday. I don't know how often they come up here and for what price. All the others, except from the laney and blackstar, seem to be available through online shops that sell through the auction site (Yahoo Auctions, there's no ebay here).

The laney is looking really good, but I don't know what price it will end up going for. It might be getting a bit big for my needs - I don't wanna end up with something too big to get the most out of at home but still too small to use in a jam.

The fact that the marshall needs to be loud to drive is actually a GOOD thing. Like I said, I'd rather be able to use it as a low volume, clean platform for pedals but also have a bit extra there if I want.

• Members

What about the blackheart killer ant? 1W and I'm sure that should be more than enough for japan's small apartment setup. Doesn't have any tone control though so you probably would need something like an eq pedal.

Thanks, I'd never heard of that before. Looks cool. Unfortunately a quick search hasn't found any results of them here, I'll definitely keep an eye out though. The no tone control thing is ok, as long as it sounds good.

Does anyone know anything about Guyatone amps? there seem to be a lot of old second hand ones here, anything to look out for?

• Members

I want to love the AC4 but I just don't. The 10 was better than the 8 but it just doesn't have "it"

The Class 5 sounds hella awesome by comparison, and I think the new ones come with a power cut switch

I've heard a lot of conflicting reports about AC4s, seems a bit of a love/hate kinda thing.

How do you rate the cleans on the class 5?

• Members

15 watts is more than I need and is mostly more expensive than what I want to spend. I'll probably pick up a bigger amp for playing with others further down the road when I actually need it, and keep the small one for home use/recording.

What from orange would you recommend? I know about the tiny terror, but I've heard it's mostly about dirt and I'd prefer something with decent cleans I can use pedals with.

the TH30 can be dropped to 7 watts, and the 30w might be a useful option.. not sure on prices with these though

[video=youtube;F-wl5D2tYyg]

• Members

That looks/sounds like a helluva amp. Judging by the prices of a new tiny terror head here (50,000 yen/~$600) I'm guessing it'll be a lot more than my other options right now.

I'll get a big-boy amp soon enough, I just don't need one now and I will always have a use for something small.

• Members

I've heard a lot of conflicting reports about AC4s, seems a bit of a love/hate kinda thing.

How do you rate the cleans on the class 5?

They're pretty good as long as you're playing quiet....like any low watt amp, it breaks up early. But with single coils and a light touch, it's got a nice clean sound.

• Members

Try the Laney. The L20H 20 watt head can easily be run at home and sounds really good to me. I'm sure the 5 watter would be just as good.

If it looks like it's gonna go for a good price then I probably will. But there's still 4 days left and I'm pretty sure the price is gonna jump.

• Members

Hey..

I searched for a home amp a couple of years ago, and I'm also in an apartment. I settled up with the pathfinder 10, solid state, as the cheapest solution. But I tried the Ac4tv8 and lately the Vht special 6. I also heard the Blackstar, which I thought it was just meh, and I didn't like the orange sound.

The Vox Ac4tv8 is loud, too much for an apartment, unless you use the 1/4w mode which happens to sound really blanket-on-top, not good at all. I felt that amp needs at least to be played at 1w and cooking, which is too much for a regular apartment with neighbors. Heck, I could even get evicted cranking the pathfinder!

I liked much more the VHT, simple and nice, maybe more fenderish, sound. But also it could get loud very fast. This one had nice cleans, but would be impossible to drive it at home. WIth the boost on I think you could even play in small bars with it. I have seen it at Ishibashi shops, and it's available via rakuten, it's about 16.000 yen which is quite good.

I didn't try the `lil train, and at 2w should be ok for home, me thinks. I would want to try it first though. I'm also tempted, because I'm so tired of the pathfinder.. but I wouldn't expect to be able to crank it at home.

On a side note, I got myself a Pignose 7, to go to the port side with my guitar in the evening or at night. Quite a solution if you have a baby at home :)

• Members

Hey..

I searched for a home amp a couple of years ago, and I'm also in an apartment. I settled up with the pathfinder 10, solid state, as the cheapest solution. But I tried the Ac4tv8 and lately the Vht special 6. I also heard the Blackstar, which I thought it was just meh, and I didn't like the orange sound.

The Vox Ac4tv8 is loud, too much for an apartment, unless you use the 1/4w mode which happens to sound really blanket-on-top, not good at all. I felt that amp needs at least to be played at 1w and cooking, which is too much for a regular apartment with neighbors. Heck, I could even get evicted cranking the pathfinder!

I liked much more the VHT, simple and nice, maybe more fenderish, sound. But also it could get loud very fast. This one had nice cleans, but would be impossible to drive it at home. WIth the boost on I think you could even play in small bars with it. I have seen it at Ishibashi shops, and it's available via rakuten, it's about 16.000 yen which is quite good.

I didn't try the `lil train, and at 2w should be ok for home, me thinks. I would want to try it first though. I'm also tempted, because I'm so tired of the pathfinder.. but I wouldn't expect to be able to crank it at home.

On a side note, I got myself a Pignose 7, to go to the port side with my guitar in the evening or at night. Quite a solution if you have a baby at home
:)

Holy crap, I didn't know about rakuten.

I just looked up the vht special ultra 6 - it's right in my price range and looks like a hell of an amp. That may be the front runner now...

• Members

I hated the ZT Lunchbox, I found it very harsh/icepicky and it sounded like a cheap solidstate amp.

The Vox AC4TV with the 10'' speaker on the other hand, is a wonderful little bugger. I did swap out the preamp tube for a lower gained 12AT7 and put in a new JJ EL84, and the tone really prettied up. Before the tube swap I found the tone when pushed a little too boxy and harsh... lowering the gain via the preamp tube was a very good move, as the grit got very very sweet. The amp is PLENTY loud for home use, especially if you're living in an apartment. I found myself using the 1watt setting the most - the amp really comes alive at the 1watt/4watt settings, and it takes pedals beautifully. I gave it to a good friend as a birthday present and long to get another one. I definitely would go with the head/cab 'mini-stack' version over the combo though, just to get that extra flexibility/portability. Using the ext. cab out into my Diezel 1x12 (V30), it sounded like a much more expensive amplifier! IIRC,, the matching Vox cab runs a 12'', so I look forward to saving up and going after that badboy.

Sweet amps, I dont see how anyone could fault them for what they are. I feel like they definitely lose some body/solidarity with the smaller versions, so definitely look to plug into at least the 10'' version when you shop around.

• Members

Why not get a modeler? Those Fender Mustangs are dirt cheap and sound really solid.

I never got why anyone would take a small tube amp over a decent modeler for apartment use.
:idk:

Mostly because I want something more plug and play.

I don't deny that modelers can sound good, but the usually take a fair but of tweaking. I got sick of it with the tonelab I had.

• Members

I have the Lil' Night Train as my bedroom amp and it works well for me. It can get pretty loud for the bedroom if you crank the gain and volume but is controllable with good tone no matter how low. I generally dime the volume and control the level with the gain knob. That gives me a nice thick clean without rattling the walls. Headroom is minimal but with volume at 8 - 10 and gain at 9:00 I get all the cleans I need. It really loves my Les Paul.

Archived