Loopers - advice and recommendations

JimH

• Members

hello all - I've recently left a band and have been 'jamming solo' with a BOSS DD6 - it's only got 2.6 second memory on it so it's not really a looper - fun, but I fancy something with a bit more capacity. So... any advice or recommendations? I'm not really up to speed with the latest stuff and therefore don't know which bells and whistles are useful or required and which are a waste of space.

...any 'go-to' popular units out there? Obviously money is an issue but value for money more important than low cost.

Thanks.

• Members

The Akai Headrush E2 is a great, simple looper. Sounds great, 17 seconds full fidelity loop or longer at lower audio quality. No frills (no reverse, speed change etc.) but very cool.

Line6 loopers as found in the DL4 and M9 get a lot of love here, and have more in the way of options (reverse, speed change)

Personally, I use and love the headrush. Considering buying another one when I go to the US later this week, because they're selling for $99 at Guitar Center (they cost about 4 times that here).

Steve

• Members

Don't get the Akai Headrush, it's a very little improvement over your dd-6, with just 16 seconds? of looping time, which just covers like 8 bars. Look for the dedicated loopers, there are plenty of them. Depending on how far you want to go with it, you have from Boss units, for simple phrase looping, to more complex stuff, there is a lot of info around.

The best one of them all is the Boomerang III, IMO, but it allows you to do a lot of stuff you may not be interested in.

• Members

boomerang III like above said, if you've got the monies.

for cheaper dedicated lookers look to the boss rc-series or the digitech jammans

a better choice compared to the DL4 would be the EHX stereo memory man w/ hazarai, haven't tried the M9 but it probably outdoes them both, for twice the price though.

• Members

Headrush is a great looper especially for live use. If you wouldn't be using it for live purposes I'd suggest something like the Digitech Jamman Solo. I have one (selling it though cause I use my laptop for looping) and its a great little looper; small, huge storage capacity - you can save loops WHILE the loop is playing - very handy for on the fly stuff and wanting to keep things going without having to stop and save before creating a new loop. Has overdub undo/redo...

• Members

Don't get the Akai Headrush, it's a very little improvement over your dd-6, with just 16 seconds?

I'm not sure I got this right, but isn't 17 seconds about 6.5 times as long as the 2.6 seconds on the DD6? And you can double the loop length in lower fidelity... The headrush has separate switches for start/record and stop, can undo to the base loop on the fly, and is a far superior looper to the DD6.

It's no Boomerang, but it's a good looper if what you want is good basic looping for what (especially at GC at the moment) is a great price and great value for money. I highly recommend it as a looper, if the features are enough to satisfy you. If not, go higher price and more features.

Steve

• Members

Does anyone have an RC-2? I was wondering how the drums sound on it. I have a Zoom G3 with 40 sec and the drum machine sounds pretty good. Plus the G3 has a visual loop progress indicator, which is nice for keeping track of where you are in the loop and recording the loop.

• Members

Does anyone have an RC-2? I was wondering how the drums sound on it. I have a Zoom G3 with 40 sec and the drum machine sounds pretty good. Plus the G3 has a visual loop progress indicator, which is nice for keeping track of where you are in the loop and recording the loop.

i used to have the rc-2 before upgrading to an m9 for looping. the drums are pretty meh :idk: most are pretty unuseable, there are a couple that are pretty just generic stock drum beats that you can do something with. most of the time i'd just have the drum volume level turned off and just loop guitar only

• Members

my experience with a very short description and ratings with no real explanation.

m9 - great, fun and easy to use - plus the all the added stuff that the m9 offers, really enjoyed creating a loop then changing the fx while the loop played.

m13 - greater - even easier to apply fx to the loop thanks to the extra slots.

rc2 - very great - metronome and drum loops, longer loop times, ability to save loops!!! unfortunately not as fun as the m9.

rc20 - even greater - easier to use due to the dual foot switches.

original boomerang - the best. cannot save, cannot redo, no metronome, no drums; just super easy to use and really fun.

• Members

original boomerang - the best. cannot save, cannot redo, no metronome, no drums; just super easy to use and really fun.

if that's your definition of the best looper then the smmh does the same thing. so does the hardwire dl-8 and the tc flashback.

• Members

I've had a few and just picked up a Jamman Solo. It has a lot of loop time, up with the most out there to date? Has "quantize mode" and "free-form loop mode", so you can do Loop Station type seamless quantized looping or free-form looping like some of the older loopers (Boomerang, DL4, Headrush, etc.).

• Members

I have the JamMan Stereo. Works great for me. Lots of storage. Can add storage if you need. 99 save files. Has XLR input so I can loop myself telling myself I love myself so I don't have to be so sad all the time.

$300 I think?

• Members

I've had a few and just picked up a Jamman Solo. It has a lot of loop time, up with the most out there to date? Has "quantize mode" and "free-form loop mode", so you can do Loop Station type seamless quantized looping or free-form looping like some of the older loopers (Boomerang, DL4, Headrush, etc.).

I've only ever used "older" loopers like the headrush, how exactly does the quantize mode work? Do you tap in a BPM or something?

• Members

I've only ever used "older" loopers like the headrush, how exactly does the quantize mode work? Do you tap in a BPM or something?

Yeah, it lets you do both styles of loopers. With the quantize mode you tap the BPM and it splices in and out the loop so that it comes out sounding seamless. That's more useful if you are looking to solo over something and want it to sound absolutely perfect on playback to the audience. Also it's great to have when storing loops as you can call them up live and play them back at whatever BPM your band is currently playing the song in. It will time stretch without any change in pitch.

The free-form looping is great for building "sound-on-sound" loops and glitchy effects. You can get good with them and this unit to where you can time it just perfect for a seamless loop it takes a little more practice but you don't get that built in crossfade so you have to be very careful of the velocity you hit the strings at the beginning and end of the loop.

Stock it can hold up to 35 minutes of loops in 99 memory slots. With an SD memory card it can hold up to 16 hours in a total of 198 memory slots.

Archived