Totally OT: Any electricians or knowledable folk in here want to help me out.

loosegroove

• Members

We finally took down our old, half working chandelier in our dining room to put up a new one. When I took it down, I noticed that there are no color coded wires coming from the ceiling, just two black cloth insulated ones (yup, our house is OLD built in 1915). How can I figure out which is Hot and which is Neutral. Thanks!

• Members

Thanks bass_econo. Here's another issue. I don't think the junction box is grounded, I think it's just screwed into the floor joists. So could I still do what you said. Could I use one of those no-contact volt detectors?

Hmm I've never used a no-contact before. You can try just touching the junction box though.

• Members

Usually there is a bare wire attached to the junction box or fixture.

If the wire is cloth and both the same color your wiring may not be grounded at all.

Just hot and neutral. Neutral is basically split off from ground where it comes in you're house at the loadcenter/fusebox.

If you have a long wire you could run it from there to the room you are working in and measure against that.

But really if the whole thing is not grounded its probably best to run all new wire.

• Members

Depends on what sort of light you are installing. some might have electronic control gear which need correct polarity of active and neutral connections.

Best thing to do is disconnect all the power and make sure that the cables aren't touching each other in any way. turn power back on and being very careful test each cable with a volt stick which glows when near voltage. the cable that makes it glow is your active. Please just be careful tho.

• Members

if it's just a light (no fan), does it really matter which way you re-wire it?

Yes it does since the lines are polarized and the electron flow needs to go from hot to neutral if it's wired in reverse that would put the hot leg on the negative pole of the switch which could cause the switch's neutral leg to go hot when the switch is in it's reverse polarized state but only in the area of a few microhenries so it would not cause any damage to the outlet that's wired to the switch (assuming it's wired in double reverse parallel) but if it's wired in negative series it could shunt a few megafarads to ground and cause the junction box to develop a ground fault which could the light to backflow electrons into the ground stake and therefore make the switch (and the aforementioned outlet) become a phase locked loop at least until the flow subsides on the negative portion of the sinusoidal wave, I think you'd need an SCR to help verify this though.

• Members

Yes it does since the lines are polarized and the electron flow needs to go from hot to neutral if it's wired in reverse that would put the hot leg on the negative pole of the switch which could cause the switch's neutral leg to go hot when the switch is in it's reverse polarized state but only in the area of a few microhenries so it would not cause any damage to the outlet that's wired to the switch (assuming it's wired in double reverse parallel) but if it's wired in negative series it could shunt a few megafarads to ground and cause the junction box to develop a ground fault which could the light to backflow electrons into the ground stake and therefore make the switch (and the aforementioned outlet) become a phase locked loop at least until the flow subsides on the negative portion of the sinusoidal wave, I think you'd need an SCR to help verify this though.

This is the most intelligent run-on sentence I've ever heard. Nevermind what I said before.

Archived