Enter and discuss guitars with me, friend

Operator

• Members

In terms of amps and effects, I'm very satisfied and have been for quite some time. I have all the tools I need, and effects to me are very much like toys, so while I'll certainly accumulate more in the future, there's nothing I need to get right now.

Guitars, on the other hand. My main guitar has been my main guitar since 2002. It's a Fender Stratocaster, and I like it very much. The Fender's frets are really worn out though, from 10 years of regular playing. They need a recrown, but at the cost of a recrown I might as well buy a new neck. I have a couple other junkers, namely a First Act telecaster type guitar that I take to gigs because I use alternate tunings.

While the Fender is great and versatile, I don't have the same needs and specifications about guitars now that I did when I bought it. The guitar I would really like to get, with money being no object, is a Gretsch Power Jet. But I feel like I'm not going to be able to save up that much money; even a used one is around $1,600. I've never spent that much on guitar stuff, and I live in an expensive city with a lot of student debt, so I don't have a lot of money to put away even for basic savings.

So I'm not sure if I should just get a new neck/recrown my Fender and keep on using what I got, or if I should go for a different, more affordable guitar? All the while waiting for a point in my life where I can comfortably spend $1600 on a guitar?

Money is hard.

• Members

You've spent 10 years with your Strat. It's an old friend that knows your history. I would first put money toward a recrown, not a new neck. Then when you can save the $, get yourself what you really want.

This, buying a new neck would be wasting the years you've spent breaking it in

Yeah, in terms of cost, recrown

In fact Fender used to promote the bolt on neck design as being good for exactly that - instead of refretting the neck, you could just replace it. However, as Dissentience wisely pointed out, you start all over with a new neck - your years of "breaking in" the old one, and those nicely rounded fretboard edges are all lost, and you have to go through the process again. Not to mention that there's no guarantee that you'll love the shape and feel of the new neck.

If you want to improve the existing neck - better materials or a shape you like better, then get a new one. If you love the old neck, better to get a good tech to refret it - IMHO.

• Members

New Pickups?

I made a humbucker strat because I like how Fenderstyle guitars play and look but needed something different tonewise. I have a "normal" SSS Strat and SS Tele too so I have a slice of every cake.

You probably wont get the same kind of feel with a recrowned neck so I would recommend to buy a new neck with same shapes etc.

Archived