Fuzz suggestions for a fuzz noob

turnstylepoet

• Members

Thanks guys. So many great tones....so many options....

I am going to start looking up schematics. I think I NEED a Jumbo Tonebender and a MKIII. They sounded glorious. And that Fuzzrite and Scrambler sounded great too...and a Muff couldn't hurt. I can see the slope and I can see it is slippery but I cannot force myself to back away.....

FUZ.jpg

• Members

Thanks guys. So many great tones....so many options....

I am going to start looking up schematics. I think I NEED a Jumbo Tonebender and a MKIII. They sounded glorious. And that Fuzzrite and Scrambler sounded great too...and a Muff couldn't hurt. I can see the slope and I can see it is slippery but I cannot force myself to back away.....

FUZ.jpg

yup MKIII is superb, I have a Lumpy's which is most excellent.

• Members

Yeah you could cover a lot of ground with an MKIII and a Jumbo Tonebender. The MKIII can dial in the early 60's thru early 70's tones, the Jumbo aka the muff variant for everything else. You miss only the octave fuzz, and altough I like the scrambler, tone machine, and superfuzz, the king imo is the transformer based Tycobrahe Octavia. If you built that with some lower gain silicon transistors and threw a switch in there to lift one of the diodes it turns it into a fuzz not unlike a fuzz face. With lower gain silicon transistors you could get that perfect world of germanium border line silicon fuzz face. Those three would be it for studio workhorses.

• Members

Yeah sounds like you've got it pretty much figured out. I'm no expert on tonebenders, but I've owned/tried quite a few muffs, so if you need recommendations there and insist on looking further than the ehx big muffs (wich are excellent impo) and are willing to spend a stupid amount of money:

Check some Skreddy and D*A*M demos. I've replaced my 70s big muff with a WH Swollen Pickle, and though it's a damn fine and verry tweekable BM, I'm thinking of maybe replacing it with either a Musket or one of the BAT pedals (damn GAS). Sovtek muffs aren't my thing, but if that's what you want, the Hoof is still somewhat affordable and easily available.

• Members

Snorkelmonkey - Yeah, I think I am on the right path. Thanks for all your help

Thom: I think I may start with a couple builds (Tonebender/MKIII) and then either attempt to build a Muff or pick one up since they are so affordable. If I buy I'll probably go with a Tone Wicker. I don't need a DAM or Skreddy although I am sure they are fine pedals.

V: I just subscribed to your Youtube channel. Your stuff sounds great. Thanks again for your help!

• Members

right now my favorites are the Black Arts Toneworks Pharaoh and the Zvex Octane.

those two cover a lot of ground, especially the Pharaoh. since it is so versatyle and can cover a lot of ground, this could be a good place to start. i love it for both riffing and for reverb walls of sound, i always use it with reverb. works great with modulation, but when it comes to reverb you should have a good one in front of it.

what is your budget?

• Members

Snorkelmonkey - Yeah, I think I am on the right path. Thanks for all your help

Thom: I think I may start with a couple builds (Tonebender/MKIII) and then either attempt to build a Muff or pick one up since they are so affordable. If I buy I'll probably go with a Tone Wicker. I don't need a DAM or Skreddy although I am sure they are fine pedals.

V: I just subscribed to your Youtube channel. Your stuff sounds great. Thanks again for your help!

Thanks, man. I should be putting up some new demos pretty soon. I got a better video recorder (Better than my laptop's webcam, ha ha).

• Members

right now my favorites are the Black Arts Toneworks Pharaoh and the Zvex Octane.

those two cover a lot of ground, especially the Pharaoh. since it is so versatyle and can cover a lot of ground, this could be a good place to start. i love it for both riffing and for reverb walls of sound, i always use it with reverb. works great with modulation, but when it comes to reverb you should have a good one in front of it.

what is your budget?

It seems like Black Arts is really killing it. The Pharaoh sounds killer and so does the Black Forest. I've been very happy with my OD section but that thing is really tempting.

I would rather build a fuzz than buy one. I've built a few things in the past (clean boost, ABY, expression pedals) but I haven't built anything in a while and I am itching to do so. I'd like to do more building and with so many fuzz circuits being on the easier side to build it seemed like a good choice.

Archived