If you had the choice

Ryan.

• Members

Hardwood, no doubt. Carpet gets filthy and funky way too fast and gets torn up just as fast as you can scratch up hardwood. A slightly abused old hardwood floor looks as cool as vintage guitar, an old dirty carpet floor looks like a crime scene in a crack house. If you really need damping/absorption on the floor, just put down some rugs, you might need those under the drums and maybe cabs anyway.

• Members

i would definitely go with hardwood with strategically placed rugs and damping in the appropriate other parts of the room. i'm assuming this is not a giant room, but more like a regular practice space size? if so, it wouldn't be too hard to damp it just the right amount for what you want and wood floors are cool and easier to keep clean. and they age well, with scratches and whatnot. carpets just suck and get gross and ugly and time goes on. and you don't have the choice to brighten them if it's too dampened in there.

• Members

I was mocking the abuse of the word. I was using sarcasm. I had a sargasm, if you will.

Why'd you change your name?

I was just playing along.

To stop people being able to google me and find my entire online life. I have different names on different sites now.

• Members

I was mocking the
abuse of the word
. I was using sarcasm. I had a sargasm, if you will.

Why'd you change your name?

Are you some kind of upity hipster? Do you think a cocktail shaker bruises and abuses old tom hipster gin? Do you have a curly hipster mustache? Do you ride a hipster penny farthing? :confused: hipster :o

In your practice room / amateur recording space would you choose to lay down carpet + pad or nice hardwood flooring?

Edit: You can have either for free. (So don't factor in cost.)

Hardwood flooring, without a doubt.

First of all, it looks cool. Secondly, I'd much rather have a reflective floor and an absorptive ceiling - especially if it's a low (~ 8') ceiling height. You can always put a "throw rug" down over a hardwood floor to quickly change it from hard and reflective to soft and more absorbent.

Another thing to consider is overall amounts of absorption in the room in the various frequency ranges. High frequencies are relatively easy to "deal with" from an absorption standpoint. Most small rooms have sufficient high frequency absorption (or can have it added relatively easily), but getting a suitably balanced amount of low-mid and low frequency absorption is much more difficult to achieve - which is why so many home studios have very unbalanced sound to them - the highs are damped by the floor carpeting and 2" acoustic foam on the walls, but that stuff isn't doing anything for the real problem areas in small rooms - the stuff below 500Hz.

Go with the wood and get a couple of 5' x 7' area rugs from Home Depot or Lowes. You can roll them up and store them in a corner (for extra LF absorption help) when not in use, and throw them down when you are having issues with reflections from the floor. :wave:

• Members

Hardwood flooring, without a doubt.

First of all, it looks cool. Secondly, I'd much rather have a reflective floor and an absorptive ceiling - especially if it's a low (~ 8') ceiling height. You can always put a "throw rug" down over a hardwood floor to quickly change it from hard and reflective to soft and more absorbent.

Another thing to consider is overall amounts of absorption in the room in the various frequency ranges. High frequencies are relatively easy to "deal with" from an absorption standpoint. Most small rooms have sufficient high frequency absorption (or can have it added relatively easily), but getting a suitably balanced amount of low-mid and low frequency absorption is much more difficult to achieve - which is why so many home studios have very unbalanced sound to them - the highs are damped by the floor carpeting and 2" acoustic foam on the walls, but that stuff isn't doing anything for the real problem areas in small rooms - the stuff below 500Hz.

Go with the wood and get a couple of 5' x 7' area rugs from Home Depot or Lowes. You can roll them up and store them in a corner (for extra LF absorption help) when not in use, and throw them down when you are having issues with reflections from the floor.
:wave:

:wave:

I was going to post this. :)

Archived