Is the Spring Chicken worth the inflated price?

OMTerria

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
:lol:
I'd forgotten about the Malekko branded Wooden Nickel inside the Spring Chicken. Reminds me of the little surprise living in the heart of each E600B.
;)
That's awesome - I love their sense of humor with that stuff. I also like seeing the occasional message on the PCB. I've seen a few companies (Catalinbread for example) that do that. I also like it when a company does something really cool, creative of just plain clever and funny with a name, graphic, or even the LED placement... two classic examples of that being the Skreddy Pig Mine and the Malekko Ekko 300 and 600 series delays.

I totally agree with you Phil.
All those little things inside the package and inside the unit itself really gives you the feeling of "small shops" and real people working right there behind the company logos and stuff. Must be the same with bigger brands too, but they don't send these vibes out. And when you get good vibes from something you play, you play better. Subconscious and mythical thing but I don't care as long as it makes me feel and hopefully play better. That stuff also makes all these small-brand-pedals unique and stand out of the gray mass.

• Members
I wonder how a Catalinbread Reverb would feel. I think I can hear what you would do with it.

Hmm... do they have a reverb in their roster? Or did you mean you'd like to see one there in the future?
I could only spot the Montevillian Echo. Of course you can make it sound reverb-y too, but echo's still a different story (and I bet you all knew that already so... forgive me) :)

Hmm... do they have a reverb in their roster? Or did you mean you'd like to see one there in the future?

I could only spot the Montevillian Echo. Of course you can make it sound reverb-y too, but echo's still a different story (and I bet you all knew that already so... forgive me)
:)

I THINK he was saying he'd like to see Catalinbread make a reverb pedal. If they've announced that they're working on one, it's news to me. :idk:

• Members
I THINK he was saying he'd like to see Catalinbread make a reverb pedal. If they've announced that they're working on one, it's news to me.
:idk:

Thought so too. I don't know if Catalinbread is going to have a reverb. I have heard a rumour about C'bread working on a modulation effect of very popular kind but don't know if that's true or not. I hope it's true :)

I wish there was a killer plate-reverb in a pedal format too. Maybe I have to build one myself :)

I'd be interested in hearing the Catalinbread modulation pedal rumors... :)

As far as a plate reverb pedal, it would have to be digital - it's pretty hard to mount a elastic suspension isolated metal plate of sufficient size inside a pedal. ;)

A recording magazine called Tape Op had an article with DIY plate reverb plans in it a few years ago.... but while it would be cool to have one, plates take a lot of space, and they really should be located in a different room where they'll be undisturbed by sound waves and vibration. They're big, bulky, and they need isolation. Because of all those reasons, for most people, a digital pedal, rack unit or plugin emulation of a plate is far more practical than the real thing.

• Members
I'd be interested in hearing the Catalinbread modulation pedal rumors...
:)

Hmm... I just don't wanna get hated by C'bread's forum-goers :)
Maybe I'll send you a pm instead. Now just everyone else hates :)

As far as a plate reverb pedal, it would have to be digital - it's pretty hard to mount a elastic suspension isolated metal plate of sufficient size inside a pedal.
;)

Exactly ;)
But how about a plate sized of a matchbox inside a 1590-size Hammond case, with a piezo and some sort of small driver unit? :) Wow... hahahaa.

I would be perfectly happy with a decent-sounding digital unit too. Maybe I have to give that Nova Reverb a second chance.

A recording magazine called Tape Op had an article with DIY plate reverb plans in it a few years ago.... but while it would be cool to have one, plates take a lot of space, and they really should be located in a different room where they'll be undisturbed by sound waves and vibration. They're big, bulky, and they need isolation. Because of all those reasons, for most people, a digital pedal, rack unit or plugin emulation of a plate is far more practical than the real thing.

I found out this...
http://platereverb.com/

They also have a PDF-document how to build one for yourself: http://platereverb.com/manuals/Plate%20Construction.pdf

I love the sound, but I hate the size (and weight). Any other "good digital stuff" except that tc.Electronic's Nova Reverb? Ideas?

• Members

I have a limited edition green Spring Chicken (with dwell) and I love it. It's the only reverb-pedal I have and probably only one I ever need. Thou, I wanna try that Van-amps spring-thingy. And I'd love to have a good-sounding pedal with plate-reverb.

Ohh yes... it's worth some money. Just because it sounds fantastic!!!

Please feel free to pm me if you go for the van-amps springy-thingy and want to sell the Chicken. :)

Archived