What to replace buckers in 72' Tele Deluxe with?

spoonie g

• Members

The Wide Range Humbuckers, that is. Since I've replaced the p/u's in my strat (with fralin vintage hots w/ mid boost control), the 72' (which used to be my #1 on tour) just doesn't get as much play. Has anyone successfully replaced anything? I've thought about something like the black dove....

I really love what original WRHB's sound like but am not big on their price tag.

• Members

Did they fit without any modification? Can you still use the Fender covers?

nope. no covers and it needed a new pickguard.

i kept the wide range pickups and original pickguard in the event of resale but that is the farthest thought from my mind at this point. everyone who comes over to jam always ends up playing my tele, its awesome.

• Members

nope. no covers and it needed a new pickguard.

i kept the wide range pickups and original pickguard in the event of resale but that is the farthest thought from my mind at this point. everyone who comes over to jam always ends up playing my tele, its awesome.

I can't find much info about those.... got any specs?

• Members

not specs per say, but email Becky. she is very helpful, knowledgeable and friendly. they wind them in a few different levels. basically i told her what i was looking for and what types of music i play and she explained what the various ones were wound too and what they would be good for and i chose from there. 60 bucks per pickup so they very affordable for the quality. fast shipping too.

http://wildepickups.com/Wilde_Bill_s_Twin_Blades.html

• Members

Is the cunife magnet material not what makes the originals unique?

My understanding is that the importance of the cunife material is way overstated. I recall reading a discussion on TDPRI with Telenator and Jason Lollar which suggests that the cunife is not what gives the original WRHB it's tone.

I think this is the thread:

http://www.tdpri.com/forum/just-pickups/288982-fender-wide-range-humbuckers.html

• Members

Have you tried replacing the pots? A lot of guys replace the pots with 500k ones to open up the sound, make it less dark/muddy.

If you still want to replace them, I'd go with SD Seth Lovers. You'll have to get a new pickguard though.

I've replaced them with 1M pots. Made a big difference, but the pickups are still pretty much like a metal pickup compared to the originals.

• 2 months later...

Archived