DIY tap tempo help

JrB

• Members

just built a tap tempo box out of radio shack parts and it works great. here's the problem i wired up two inputs so i can tap a dd20 and a shape shifter w/ added tt jack from the same switch. it works great if i have one or the other hooked up but not both. both jacks work on their own but not together. what i'm i doing wrong?

• Members

if it's just one switch for both, it could be that the reference point on both pedals are different, so when you plug both and try tapping both signals get connected and the tap circuits doesnt receive the proper info. Perhaps adding some logic ics will work

• Members

Can you post a pic of your build? Also, as mentioned above, did you use a NO or NC switch? Off the top of my head, I don't know what's going on (I may be too much of a noob), but maybe a visual of what you got going on would help. Also, if you have two jacks going to the pedals, let us know which jack goes to wich pedal.

• Members

unfortunately my computer is down. i'm on my phone now and i can post pics from it. i just checked the package and it is a N.O. switch, which after some googling i see that's wrong for the boss, though i haven't noticed a problem with it. i'll try and describe the build since i can't post a pic: again it's a n.o. momentary that only has two soder lugs and a 2x3x1 plastic project box. i installed one jack on one side and just ran an old cheap patch cable w/ one end cut off in the other side. both have one wire from each sodered to either side of the switch. on the shape shifter i added a jack to the back and ran a wire from each lug to the lugs on the exsisting tap switch. i suspect this might be wrong (the way i wired up the shape shifter i mean) but if i only have the SS hooked up i can tap either w/ the switch on the pedal or w/ the remote and it works fine. it's only when they're both hooked up that there's a problem.

• Members

unfortunately my computer is down. i'm on my phone now and i can post pics from it. i just checked the package and it is a N.O. switch, which after some googling i see that's wrong for the boss, though i haven't noticed a problem with it. i'll try and describe the build since i can't post a pic: again it's a n.o. momentary that only has two soder lugs and a 2x3x1 plastic project box. i installed one jack on one side and just ran an old cheap patch cable w/ one end cut off in the other side. both have one wire from each sodered to either side of the switch. on the shape shifter i added a jack to the back and ran a wire from each lug to the lugs on the exsisting tap switch. i suspect this might be wrong (the way i wired up the shape shifter i mean) but if i only have the SS hooked up i can tap either w/ the switch on the pedal or w/ the remote and it works fine. it's only when they're both hooked up that there's a problem.

OT:

Love your avatar.

Also reminds me that I can't find my copy of Serenity. So sad.

• Members

I'll still need to see a pic b/c I'm visual like that. In the meantime... Using an NO switch on a Boss pedal isn't necessarily "wrong", it just makes it that the "contact" happens when you let UP on the switch. In other words, a NC switch is setting the temp each time you step down, but an NO switch is setting it as you let up so you'll be just slightly off.

• Members

I'll still need to see a pic b/c I'm visual like that. In the meantime... Using an NO switch on a Boss pedal isn't necessarily "wrong", it just makes it that the "contact" happens when you let UP on the switch. In other words, a NC switch is setting the temp each time you step down, but an NO switch is setting it as you let up so you'll be just slightly off.

so as long as you lift up your foot at the speed you want you're fine? i thought that's what i was reading.

• Members

OT:

Love your avatar.

Also reminds me that I can't find my copy of Serenity. So sad.

dude, a friend borrowed my copy of the show like a year ago and then got devorced and moved. i need to get that back! i still have my special edition Serenity though.

• Members

What kind of switch is it? does it have one set of contacts or two?

You probably need a momentary DPDT switch. That allows for any eventuality of needing NC/NO and it lets you keep the two units isolated while still tapping tempo off one switch.

• Members

What kind of switch is it? does it have one set of contacts or two?

You probably need a momentary DPDT switch. That allows for any eventuality of needing NC/NO and it lets you keep the two units isolated while still tapping tempo off one switch.

this could be my problem. i'm using a SPST.

Archived