Reverb pedals

• Members

I am looking at the Cathedral but have started to consider the Subdecay Spring Theory.

I am assuming off the bat that the latter has a better overall tone. The only reason I consider the Cathedral is because it seems to have a lot of options. I don't mind that it sounds digital. I really like the Holiest Grail but, considering it is discontinued and not on fleabay often, I am looking at the Cathedral.

Thoughts? Should I consider other pedals?

• Members

I am looking at the Cathedral

The only reason I consider the Cathedral is because it seems to have a lot of options.

I don't mind that it sounds digital.

I really like the Holiest Grail

I am looking at the Cathedral.

Thoughts? Should I consider other pedals?

Sounds like you've already made your mind up.

• Members

What sort of reverb sound are you looking for? Hall? Spring? Plate? Something else?

I really my the Holiest Grail too (would love another at some point), but it doesn't really do a convincing job of spring reverb at all. It really just does room sounds and hall sounds in various sizes depending how you dial it in. The Cathedral doesn't appear to sound as good on the demos I've seen, but it does have a lot more modes and variance in sound.

The best reverb pedal I've owned is the EQD Dispatch Master, though it's quite limited in what it does. You can't change the tone/damping, and it's quite dark sounding. It sounds truly incredible though, but it wont' do bright verbs and it doesn't really jump out of a band mix either as it's fairly subtle on the mix. But what it does do, is just sound absolutely incredible at every single setting on the dials. There is literally not a bad sound in this thing, it's just so classy and refined.

• Members

Sounds like you've already made your mind up.

The reason why I ask is because I think chances are that others have experience with multiple ones and have much more input than I do.

I have noticed the hype surrounding the Spring Theory and it sounds nice on demos. Not that the Cathedral is the same as the Holy Stain though, but that pedal has dampened my enthusiasm for EHX. Not that I would not buy another EHX, but I also think I should try to shop around as much as possible to make sure I go in the right direction.

Hall and room reverb are what I have been into lately, but because of my experience with the Holy Stain, I am also trying to consider quality of sound as opposed to number of options.

• Members

I've owned the holiest grail and currently own a spring theory. As bubbles has indicated, the spring theory does the much better spring emulation. If you've got the space, the holiest is far more tweakable on the room settings. I've barely looked at the room mode of the spring theory because I was after a spring reverb and the theory delivers in spades on that.

• Members

Holy Grail plus is good.

I've been through quite a few reverb pedals - including the Cathedral, and I'm back to a RV-5 and digiverb.

The Cathedral is pretty cool but I didn't really did the Hall and the lack of a trails option bugged me. And they should have made the presets like the Pog2 and others - just blank preset slots, not limiting you to just one preset for each verb sound... It would be nice to be able to save 2 different Reverse presets.

• Members

I've owned the holiest grail and currently own a spring theory. As bubbles has indicated, the spring theory does the much better spring emulation. If you've got the space, the holiest is far more tweakable on the room settings. I've barely looked at the room mode of the spring theory because I was after a spring reverb and the theory delivers in spades on that.

Ah. I would definitely go for a Holiest Grail but I have yet to come across one so far. I am going to give the TC electronics a whirl to see how it works.

Archived