Kyuss "Welcome To Sky Valley" tone

SpankyXXV

• Members

2x15's are kinda rare though huh?

mmmmmmmmmm......... i have a Fender Bassman 50, it's great.

Sunn, Ampeg, Fender, Acoustic Control, Emperor, Matamp are some of the brands i know that made/makes them.

the other dudes over at the doom room have extensive knowledge on this subject, so you should ask there.

• Members

^ you're right. bad mood or what ever. defused the post a bit.

I'm still not clear about whether he wants to know what gear Homme used back then or if he wants help copying the tone. I am quite sure that he isn't clear about it too. I don't see this thread going anywhere without a concrete question. I am willing to help here since I spent many years trying to get close to Homme's sound, too and discovered may wonderful stuff on my own with just a little sense of curiosity. ;)

• Members

Play with the mids, try a lower tuning. You can get Kyuss sounds with a Tele if you know what you do. You don't need a too bassy tone, remember Scott Reeder was on the record, too.

And why should 2x15" speaker be weird or rare? Every music store has them. Do you really feel satisfaction in immitating someone elses tone? I'm really not good with people with no imagination and don't have a whack at something first.

If you want a serious hint, maybe post what gear you currently use. I'm sure we can help you dial in a somewhat close sound.

Just because I have copied someones rig doesn't mean that I want to be a clone. I felt the gear fitted my musical needs. And yes I play everyday at least and hour. That is like saying just because you use a strat, a marshall, and a fuzz face together that you are copying/ripping off hendrix. I mean I think everyone has looked up to someone and tried to emulate their sound before. But it's cool. Implying I have no imagination is a little harsh man. But anyway here it is:

Tele plus>tu-3>rotovibe>wah>double hotcake>rat>big muff>echo park> fender quad reverb

yeah I know people might say I stole jason simon's rig setup. I like the tone. what can I say. Did I say I was gonna rip off kyuss? No, but homme's tone/gear have been shrouded in mystery for a long time. Is curiosity such a bad thing? I think it is cool when you can see every detail of how someone made a legendary tone.

• Members

I think you could get a good Homme tone with what you got. I would start with cranking mids, boosting bass quite a bit, and going easy on treble. From there, you should be able to dial all your other stuff to get some good toanz.

I actually visited my dad today who I haven't seen in a long time and tuned his SG down. On the neck pickup it sounded almost exactly like kyuss with the hotcake. I used similar settings.

• Members

Alright, let me be of help a bit here for once. Despite some recommendations in this thread, don't overestimate the bass portion. It takes a little focus and close listening to the records to hear that the guitar sound is not more bassy than a normal guitar. The bass and guitar were just always mixed very broad. If you look up live gigs of Kyuss like Bizarre '95 you can better hear the difference in frequency range. This is where you can start from, don't let you fool to think you need a bass cabinet at all cost. But your current amp is a bit hard to work to get Homme's sound of that era, I have to admit. You got chimey Fender cleans where you would need middy Marshall tones, or at least an amp that overdrives at reasonable volumes. If you want to go with your Fender, you would have to get pedals. A Boss SD-1 would give you the mids but not the grind and richness of his sound. I haven't tried it in person but the Dr.Scientist Elements seems to be a swiss army knife of overdrive/distortions. Your muff is probably too saw-toothy - do you have the option to mod is slightly? I bet the tone stack bypass mod could help in broading your distortion range and bring you somewhere near. The Rat is of no big help I reckon. Don't know the Hotcake in person but did you play around with the muff and the hotcake in both orders? That would be my first attempt with your gear. Tune to C, get .12-.56 strings, a LP-/Humbucker guitar helps a lot as you have already experienced with the SG. Are you up to trying to get the original gear? Since there is no pedal I know of that emulates the sound. If there was one, I'd get it in a second, too ;)

• Members

Alright, let me be of help a bit here for once. Despite some recommendations in this thread, don't overestimate the bass portion. It takes a little focus and close listening to the records to hear that the guitar sound is not more bassy than a normal guitar. The bass and guitar were just always mixed very broad. If you look up live gigs of Kyuss like Bizarre '95 you can better hear the difference in frequency range. This is where you can start from, don't let you fool to think you need a bass cabinet at all cost. But your current amp is a bit hard to work to get Homme's sound of that era, I have to admit. You got chimey Fender cleans where you would need middy Marshall tones, or at least an amp that overdrives at reasonable volumes. If you want to go with your Fender, you would have to get pedals. A Boss SD-1 would give you the mids but not the grind and richness of his sound. I haven't tried it in person but the Dr.Scientist Elements seems to be a swiss army knife of overdrive/distortions. Your muff is probably too saw-toothy - do you have the option to mod is slightly? I bet the tone stack bypass mod could help in broading your distortion range and bring you somewhere near. The Rat is of no big help I reckon. Don't know the Hotcake in person but did you play around with the muff and the hotcake in both orders? That would be my first attempt with your gear. Tune to C, get .12-.56 strings, a LP-/Humbucker guitar helps a lot as you have already experienced with the SG. Are you up to trying to get the original gear? Since there is no pedal I know of that emulates the sound. If there was one, I'd get it in a second, too
;)

Would a V4 have the mids? I know a guy with three V4's and he is selling all of them. I just want to try and get a tone similar to the airiness of WTSV. Like in the opening riff of whitewater and gardenia.

• Members

Would a V4 have the mids? I know a guy with three V4's and he is selling all of them. I just want to try and get a tone similar to the airiness of WTSV. Like in the opening riff of whitewater and gardenia.

I think so. You don't happen to be rich and send one of them over to me? :cop:

Archived