Jag pickups and different options.

hangwire

• Members

So I am going to build a 25.5 scale jaguar

because of the short scale I never tried a Jag stock over the past 12 years. What do the pickups sound like as is? what is a good example of why you should leave both or either position stock? is a jag bridge or neck positon better than the other and it woudl be recommended to keep one and doing something to the other?

also, I'm going to gibson style the pickup switch and rip out the rythym circuit... but could I leave the upper switch in there and make it into a parallel to series selector when both pickups are on, ir would it involve too much rat's nest wiring to get it done?

I was thinking a GFS surf 90 in the bridge and a fender gold lace sensor in the neck [or whatever pickup dick dale is using neck position currently] if both pcikups are not too good for anything except Mustang like student guitar thinness

A Jaguar pickup sounds very similar to a Strat pickup, but with a little less susceptability to hum and noise due to the "claws", which provide some additional shielding. They're a brighter pickup than the Jazzmaster pickup - again, typical Fender single coil type tones.

If I was going to mod up a Jaguar, I'd probably either go with the Johnny Marr type pickups, or replace the neck pickup with a Jazzmaster pickup. I'd probably keep the bridge single coil if I did that. The only way I'd consider replacing both would be with something like a Filtertron - my friend made a custom shop Jaguar for Johnny Marr that has dual Filtertrons, and it's really cool.

Yes, you could do pretty much whatever you wanted with the upper horn switch, but the woring on a Jag is about as complex as you'll find in any guitar, so be prepared for some work and effort - rewiring a Jag isn't a beginner's task.

• Members

A Jaguar pickup sounds very similar to a Strat pickup, but with a little less susceptability to hum and noise due to the "claws", which provide some additional shielding. They're a brighter pickup than the Jazzmaster pickup - again, typical Fender single coil type tones.

If I was going to mod up a Jaguar, I'd probably either go with the Johnny Marr type pickups, or replace the neck pickup with a Jazzmaster pickup. I'd probably keep the bridge single coil if I did that. The only way I'd consider replacing both would be with something like a Filtertron - my friend made a custom shop Jaguar for Johnny Marr that has dual Filtertrons, and it's really cool.

Yes, you could do pretty much whatever you wanted with the upper horn switch, but the woring on a Jag is about as complex as you'll find in any guitar, so be prepared for some work and effort - rewiring a Jag isn't a beginner's task.

rewiring would be jack, tone, vol, 3 way switch, pickups... none of that stupid other stuff... any clue as to how you impliment a series/parallel slider in that type of setup?

rewiring would be jack, tone, vol, 3 way switch, pickups... none of that stupid other stuff... any clue as to how you impliment a series/parallel slider in that type of setup?

series_howto.gif

Your other option would be to do away with the upper plate entirely and use a DPDT push / pull switch equipped volume (or tone) pot, or possibly a four way switch instead of a three way switch - which is how the Marr Jag has its series / parallel switching set up. Personally, I'd keep the upper chrome plate and just disconnect the two "wheels" and use the switch as a series / parallel switch.

• Members
series_howto.gif

Your other option would be to do away with the upper plate entirely and use a DPDT push / pull switch equipped volume (or tone) pot, or possibly a four way switch instead of a three way switch - which is how the Marr Jag has its series / parallel switching set up. Personally, I'd keep the upper chrome plate and just disconnect the two "wheels" and use the switch as a series / parallel switch.

but the slide switch wont have 6 pole peices...so would have to get a DPDT switch in there? what about how you can only do series in dano U2s because of concentric pots... could that crack this nut with a slide switch and 3 way switch?

• Members

http://compare.ebay.com/like/140684089417?var=lv&ltyp=AllFixedPriceItemTypes&var=sbar&_lwgsi=y&cbt=y

Switchcraft makes them - they're pretty widely available. You just need a DPDT slide switch of the right size, like the ones I linked to.

Finally paying off having you around :thu: Job well done!

I think I'm going to do a dearmond style in the bridge an cs 54 or similar alnico staggered pole pickup in neck

Archived