I want a 7 or 8-String! (or tell me how low you get with your 6-String)

the Dodo

• Members

If you're just looking to go lower, have you considered a baritone?

Good point. Baritones are awesome too. There are so many options these days when it comes to having a guitar that can handle lower tunings so I would avoid going the thicker string route. With a baritone you can keep the tension and still have a 6 string.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I like the concept of 8 string guitars... but personally, I don't need to go any lower than standard. Something tuned EADGBDGB (starting from standard low E with 2 higher strings) would be much more useful. Unfortunately, most 8 strings are made with metal dudes in mind. I'd want something much more traditional (pickups, etc...) with a couple of extra high strings.

I don't see anyone ever making it, though, as there would be no demand.

• Members

Long story short. I repaired a 7 String for a friend, cleaned it, restrung it, played it, loved it. Its a pretty cheap Ibanez RG but it plays pretty well and I really love the clean sound. It just sounds like a cool and gnarly bass in upper frets.

What amazed me is how great the tunes of my band sound if played a whole string deeper.
Please show me some good (non-pointy) 7 and 8 Strings
or give me tips how I can use one of my Strats for this. Seems like EMGs, Bartolinis or Laces would be just fine for what im after?

ah, "...non-pointy" - sorry i am out xD

• Members

I used an Epiphone Les Paul in Open C and open C down a step (just open B I guess?) with 10-52 strings for a while and liked it a good bit. I never tuned very low with my Strat, but dropping the low E to a low A (AADGBE) was pretty cool for sludgy stuff

• Members

I like the concept of 8 string guitars... but personally, I don't need to go any lower than standard. Something tuned EADGBDGB (starting from standard low E with 2 higher strings) would be much more useful. Unfortunately, most 8 strings are made with metal dudes in mind. I'd want something much more traditional (pickups, etc...) with a couple of extra high strings.

I don't see anyone ever making it, though, as there would be no demand.

I might be wrong but I recall reading somewhere that Ibanez was trying to add a higher string on the Universe model for Steve Vai and the strings kept breaking because they were too thin, which is why they added the bottom string.

• Members

I think the extended range guitars can be helpful there. Have you checked out the Hagstrom Viking or Fender Blacktop baritone tele? They look slick and don't necessarily have to be all br00tz.

Actually, I never really liked any baritone. Maybe because they feel like inbetweens. 7 and 8 Strings still have the feel of a guitar :)

For now I just finished my gold Strat (I will post pictures as soon as it got set up) and hope tuning to A will be ok for now. Ill let you all know.

• Members

Actually, I never really liked any baritone. Maybe because they feel like inbetweens. 7 and 8 Strings still have the feel of a guitar
:)

For now I just finished my gold Strat (I will post pictures as soon as it got set up) and hope tuning to A will be ok for now. Ill let you all know.

Interesting. I really like the PRS SE Mushok (regardless of the doucher graphics) and I don't find it to feel "unguitarlike" but I think that's more of a personal preference.

The 8-string I posted is an extended scale and I really like it so far. Although a shorter scale is "easier" to play, I really like the tension on the extended scale.

Archived