I want a 7 or 8-String! (or tell me how low you get with your 6-String)

the Dodo

• Members

Long story short. I repaired a 7 String for a friend, cleaned it, restrung it, played it, loved it. Its a pretty cheap Ibanez RG but it plays pretty well and I really love the clean sound. It just sounds like a cool and gnarly bass in upper frets.

What amazed me is how great the tunes of my band sound if played a whole string deeper. Please show me some good (non-pointy) 7 and 8 Strings or give me tips how I can use one of my Strats for this. Seems like EMGs, Bartolinis or Laces would be just fine for what im after?

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

How is the neck and do you like the pickups?

i've always been a strat player, and this is basically a souped up 7 string strat. the neck is very comfy (for me anyway, and i'm a little dude). the original pickups were really cool, although i eventually replaced them with a set of dimarzio's. here a pic of it:

2011-05-31_19-34-37_508.jpg

• Members

Do you mind telling me your string gauges?

Sure, I've got Dunlop heavy Core 12-54s on there right now. 12-54 on a Strat is perfect for B standard to me. The 54 goes real loose when I tune it down to E, but I tune it slightly flat to compensate for fretting it sharp. I know you're probably imagining that would sound {censored}, but I really like that bloom where you strike the string and it bows sharp for a second before returning to pitch.

• Members

I tuned a beater Tele to B-B, and Open B minor recently. It's pretty awesome. I think I use a set of 13-56 gauge strings to get there.

It doesn't put much if any extra strain on the neck with those strings. I think I calculated it on some website and the tension was comparable to a set of 10s tuned standard.

• Members

I have one of these

interceptorpro727ebblackflame5.jpg

It's a good guitar. Setup out of the box was amazing. It sounds about like any other neck-thru, floyd bridge, mahogany body, EMG 7-string. A little scooped in the mids but very clear sounding. Although it doesn't look the part, I love how this guitar sounds for modern jazz.

I also have one of these

bigJeffLoomisC7FR.jpg

For me, this is a better guitar. The neck feels better, the frets feel higher quality, and I love the maple board. The neck is a little thicker, front to back, than the Agile but it's actually more comfortable to play for long periods of time. As far as sound, the ash body seems to be a little livelier than the Agile's mahogany and the mids are a little more pronounced. Again, you'd be very surprised how good this guitar sounds good non-metal {censored}. As goofy as it looks I love the country tones I can get on this guitar.

Archived