Trying to find the right octave/pitch shift pedal

OMTerria

• Members

So, I got a Boss PS-3 in the mail a few days ago, and I'm already feeling uneasy about it. On one hand there are a number of features I like, but on the other even in more 'pretty' contexts the thing just sounds so ugly. Now, I like being able to do that but I can't help but get the feeling that there's something that might be better for what I want, or maybe I just need to spend more time with it. Here's sort of a checklist of what I'd like:

-Polyphonic octave up (or something that works well enough) for cleans. Octave down and the ability to use both would be nice too but is not as important

-At least monophonic octave up and down for dirt sounds. Being able to use both at once would be nice but isn't as necessary.

-Nothing too complicated, I've owned a Pitchfactor before and it was way too much.

-Other features (modulation, expression control, etc) could be cool but really aren't needed.

Now, I figure I have a few options. I could get something from the POG series, I could keep the PS-3 and maybe get something like a Bit Commander, Perseus, or Octavuzz to compliment it. What do y'all think?

• Members

-Polyphonic octave up (or something that works well enough) for cleans. Octave down and the ability to use both would be nice too but is not as important

-At least monophonic octave up and down for dirt sounds. Being able to use both at once would be nice but isn't as necessary.

-Nothing too complicated, I've owned a Pitchfactor before and it was way too much.

-Other features (modulation, expression control, etc) could be cool but really aren't needed.

Sounds like Micro POG would fit the bill just fine.

• Members

If you don't need one NOW you might want to check in with VFE to see how far along their model is - I'm guessing it will have everything but the kitchen sink. For more out there ideas have you looked into the rainbow machine or a whammy?

I don't need it now, I'm still working with the PS-3 for the time being. Just trying to get some ideas. I've had a Whammy before and I don't think it'd be right for what I'm looking for now. The Rainbow Machine looks incredibly awesome, but can't really do the octave thing. Maybe a Micro POG and one of those would be a good combo

• Members

I owned a Ring Thing thinking I'd use the octave function a lot, but there was just something off about the sound. Yeah it was polyphonic and stuff, but it just didn't sound right. It's hard to explain.

I know it's monophonic but I still think the Whammy IV is great. It actually tracks chords ok on cleans, not perfect but I like that it's a bit weird sounding.

If you need polyphonic, there's always the Whammy DT, but it looks like a bit of a beast, I couldn't fit it on my pedal board anyway.

Archived