OT: Who's had a CV Duo Sonic?

WBigsby

I've played a couple of them, but don't own one. I thought the neck was a bit chunkier than I would have ideally liked, but it played well. I liked the sound of the pickups quite a bit. Didn't care for the bleached white look of the maple neck - it could stand a little more tint IMHO... but otherwise, they're cool little guitars.

I'm glad they made those - they're cool guitars and a lot of people seemed to really like them - but now it's time for Fender / Squier to move on and do a RI of the Duo Sonic II. That's my new crusade. ;):D

• Members

Dood, don't they know who you are?!? Should only take a phone call for you to get them to make one, especially now that it looks like your face is going on the Banhammer Fuzz...

Was the neck a fat C (almost U), similar to the Fender Lite Ash telecaster? Damn, I wish one of my local stores had one in stock.

• Members

Had one for a brief period of time. It was ok, but I never really played it after modding my BT Jazzmaster, so I sold it. I'm embarrassed to say I don't remember that much about the sound. The person who had it before me swapped out the metallic gold pickguard for a black one:

01d1c3e2.jpg

Dood, don't they know who you are?!? Should only take a phone call for you to get them to make one, especially now that it looks like your face is going on the Banhammer Fuzz...

Was the neck a fat C (almost U), similar to the Fender Lite Ash telecaster? Damn, I wish one of my local stores had one in stock.

It's a C shape, but headed towards a U, if that makes any sense. Not only is it a bit thicker in the shoulders than some C shaped neck profiles, it feels like it might be a wee bit thicker from center of the fretboard to the center of the back of the neck than on some models too. It's not a club, but it's not as thin as the Squier CV Tele Custom's neck either, which I think is pretty darned thin (front to back) - and IMHO, very comfortable. IOW, I tend to like really thin necks with C or soft V profiles, and generally I do not like U shaped necks.

I really wanted to like the neck on the Squier, and I was ready to buy one at the time (right when they first came out), but it didn't tickle me enough to make me throw down the cash on it. It worked out okay in the end though - I wound up with these instead:

AllThreeShortscales1.jpg

• Members

I never owned one, but I played them a couple times. Main thing I didn't like as the color combination (purely subjective) and it was too light weight for my tastes.

Having said that, I only played them with the stock strings which, I asume, are 9s which to someone used to playing flat wound 10s and 11s, made the guitar feel like a toy.

I like glossy necks. I think they are the same finish as the other Classic Vibe series. I tend to get along well with different neck profiles, radii, fret size etc...

There is a guy on youtube somewhere with a few very well-recorded clips. And older fella. Sorta surfy meets ambient vibe. The first impression in terms of tone was it was pretty amazed at how different the positions all sounded. I mean, I'm a Fender guy, but the differences were memorable. Sort of like many guitars with TV Jones Classic/Filtertrons.

• Members

also, id say it will get you the perfect marriage of strat and tele tones. the bridge pickup is fairly spanky and the neck has some of the strat like piano bell subtlelties

You know Eric, one thing I've really been after in "teh quest" is that nashville telecaster "position 4" sound w/o the 5 way switching (hate it) so hearing you say this gives me the motivation to spring for it. Details after the shipping!

• Members

I finally found one - a LGS had it hanging up with the used ones, for whatever weird reason. It was easy to get along with - if one comes up cheap I will grab it, btu maybe change out the pickups relatively fast. If only GFS would start making the Surf 90's in a jobber...

I've got a sweet carved top Squier tele coming in the mail that's getting them :) JOYS

Archived