photog folks and pros... i need to buy a camera right now.

d4rk0

• Members

My wife is having our baby sometime in the next week! If she doesn't have her naturally, they will induce her one week from today. I also just found out that I'm getting a bunch of money back on my tax return. So I am finally able to buy a camera but I just don't got the time to do research so HALP ME PLEZ!

Tell me what's the best one based on my criteria.

- under $600

- great low light capability

- good image stabilization

- HD recording is preferred

I am very open to Micro 4/3s or SLRs. What should I get????

• Members

How much video are you looking to do?

Do you have any history with cameras?

I use Canon, I'd really recommend looking at the t3i.

It's a beast for video and takes great stills.

I have owned a FujiFilm Finepix S9100 for the past 4 years - it's technically a point and shoot, because it doesn't have an interchangeable lens. But it has all the main features of a SLR (without the SLR quality).

fuji_s9600-001.jpg

We are looking to do most of our home video with this camera.

• Members

Look into the t3i.

It's nice, it is ~650 with the kit lens though.

If that's too much, also consider the t2i which is what I have and still a very nice cam.

You can get those for around ~550 with the kit lens

I'd push you to spend the extra $100 and get the t3i, the flip out screen is worth that alone

• Members

Sony is awesome for video. Much better than Canon and Nikon since the autofocus system actually works. I used to shoot Sony, but now I'm moving to Canon because I prefer their fullframe bodies and my main priority is photography and not videography. If I were to focus on videography, Sony would be my first choice without a doubt. The NEX (specifically NEX-5N) system is excellent in lowlight (seriously, I had one for a bit and it was better in lowlight than my cousin's Canon 7D) but really lacks a good lens system. However, if you're willing to go manual focus, it has a great "focus peaking" feature which highlights which areas are in focus. And since the NEX system has a short flange distance, you can basically put an adapter on it and use almost any lens ever made. EVER. The NEX system is quite small, which makes it uncomfortable to hold for long durations. The Sony SLT series is the "SLR" series Sony offers. I would recommend the A55 from this series, but the A57 is supposedly coming out quite soon and should be quite an improvement.

• Members

This compares the autofocus system of the Sony A33 and Canon T2i Rebel (both outdated models, but you get the point):

[YOUTUBE]kHPaVD0pHpQ[/YOUTUBE]

This compares various aspects of video between the A33 and T2i:

[YOUTUBE]IhdCehGM02E[/YOUTUBE]

Hope that helps!

• Members
I would like this:

nikon1-j1.jpg

I would not.

Micro 4/3 cost less and is much better quality. Nikon are making up for the lesser and costlier design with a massive marketing push.

Get a GF2/Olympus with kit lens if you can find one. Sub-$500. Or one of the canon entry DSLRs.

Congrats BTW!

• Members

I would not.

Micro 4/3 cost less and is much better quality. Nikon are making up for the lesser and costlier design with a massive marketing push.

Get a GF2/Olympus with kit lens if you can find one. Sub-$500. Or one of the canon entry DSLRs.

Congrats BTW!

I have my eye on the GX1 right now, but so far the Sony Nex-5n is the clear front runner. I really like the micro four-thirds size, but my wife might overrule me and we might end up going with the cannon :idk:

Archived