Is there any way to test if I pot in a guitar is 500k vs 250k?

hangwire

• Members

I think on one of my builds I put in a 500k pot for the volume, no tone knob.

it is really bright sounding, I have to dial the volume back a number or 2 to get it to where I like it, but then the neck pickup gets a bit dull.

Without opening it up, can I somehow use a digital multi meter to test for this? I know you can get pickup strength measured this way... didnt know if on a certian setting the knob's sweep would reveal its value :idk:

the no tone knob thing isnt the issue, I have that set up on others guitars with the same picukps and it is not that bright.

• Members

You should be able to measure resistance between the 2 outside lugs to get the value, or close to it. You'll have to disconnect it from the pickups or whatever before you can get the right reading.

Also, flip it over and see if the value is stamped on the casing.

• Members

Can't you just unscrew whatever back plate is on this solid body and measure the pots?

Probably not because if the pots are connected to anything that has any resistance (like pickups) it will affect the reading to the point where it will be impossible to make sense of the numbers.

• Members

Ok, so I did a little test on my strat. I have about a 6-7k pickup in the bridge which reads as such when the volume knob is all the way up. So I swept the range of the knob and the highest value that came up was 50k. That was a 250k pot. Now, it might be a bit different in your case depending on how hot your pickups are, but it might be a decent indicator?

I also just checked the bridge pickup on the Toronado the same way (which is 8.something k). The highest value i got in a sweep on that one was about 130k. Are those 500k pots in there?

Archived