NYC Big Muff > Supa Tonebender

• Members

Yes it can. The basic difference between the two is just one pair of diodes (the Jumbo has one less transistor as well). Remove them and you're most of the way there. There are some different resistor values between the two, but the diodes are what make the big difference.

• Members

Yes it can. The basic difference between the two is just one pair of diodes (the Jumbo has one less transistor as well). Remove them and you're most of the way there. There are some different resistor values between the two, but the diodes are what make the big difference.

can you explain this better for the fx diagram impaired?

• Members

There are two transistor stages in the Big Muff that have clipping diodes. In the Supa there are the same two stages but only the second one has the clipping diodes. If you remove the diodes from the first stage in the Big Muff then you have the primary difference between the two. They also use different transistors and have some different resistor values, but those make less of a difference. You could even put those diodes on a switch to go between the BM and Supa sounds.

• Members

This is a write up I did for NYC Big Muff to Jumbo Tone Bender conversion I did for Talk Bass years ago. There may have been revisions to the Big Muff since then. I dunno.

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f36/how-usa-big-muff-colorsound-tone-bender-conversion-355820/

awesome, I'm a bass player so it's good to know it's bass friendly. thanks, this is really helpful :thu:

• Members

sounds awesome, I have an NYC BM sitting around collecting dust, so imma try modding it.

thank you

awesome, I'm a bass player so it's good to know it's bass friendly. thanks, this is really helpful
:thu:

I think the Jumbo and Supa Tone Bender sound BETTER with bass than guitar. They almost sound like they have a clean blend built in that works great with bass.

• Members

I think the Jumbo and Supa Tone Bender sound BETTER with bass than guitar. They almost sound like they have a clean blend built in that works great with bass.

That's because of the clipping diodes. They're removed in the first section, which means that opposed to a regular Muff circuit where it's clipping an already clipped signal, there's only one clipping stage.

Jump to about 6:15 on this video I made, and I explain it a bit.

• Members

That's because of the clipping diodes. They're removed in the first section, which means that opposed to a regular Muff circuit where it's clipping an already clipped signal, there's only one clipping stage.

Jump to about 6:15 on this video I made, and I explain it a bit.

thanks everyone, I'm looking forward to this project because it sounds like exactly what I'm looking for.

• Members

Ja, I pretty much explained that earlier in this thread :)

Archived