Talk to me about LA

Loobs

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

It's not nearly as seedy as it used to be. It kind of got Disney-fied. You don't really have to worry about getting stabbed anymore.

Places to go: Sunset Strip, Hollywood and Highland area, Melrose, Downtown, Venice Beach, Silver Lake.

It's not really like anything. It's more like a collection of small towns rather than a huge city. Every area is completely different. As mentioned, it's really spread out. Compared to other major cities, it's definitely grimy. When friends from elsewhere visit, they're always surprised at how rough-looking it is.

I don't understand the "materialistic and fake" complaints. It depends where you go.
:idk:

You put that really well... I've only lived here the past 2 years (right off hollywood blvd) and I really agree with what you say... It has kinda a disney vibe goin on... Everyone seems really nice. I don't get all this fake and materialistic crap I've been hearing about all those years. Seems like as much pretty people and toys as any suburban area I've ever been too. It definitely has a small town feel... Or a "whole bunch of towns joined together" feel. The grime is there but it's not overwhelming or a reason not to come. Be prepared to see some friggin weirdos though!

I can't imagine really getting a feel for this place in a short amount of time unless you had a resident showing you around or a bunch of places to hit up from this thread.... Check out the Baked Potato if ya come, loobs

• Members

Subs is mad funny.

Yo son, don't go to LA. Go to Santa Monica or something and make day trips to LA/Hollywood. Stop in Hermosa Beach. Maybe you'll bump into the guys from Pennywise and you can hand them a copy of your angry punk rock music.

LA sucks.

san diego and san fransico are much cooler.

LA and Diego are almost connected by urban sprawl. To me, the two have very similar "feels" - at least in part. San Fran feels a lot different to me... from the streets, layout and architecture to the weather and the culture.

I'm a SoCal native, so I'm a bit biased, but generally, I'd rather spend a week on vacation in Diego than a week in San Fran. YMMV

• Members

LA and Diego are almost connected by urban sprawl. To me, the two have very similar "feels" - at least in part. San Fran feels a lot different to me... from the streets, layout and architecture to the weather and the culture.

I'm a SoCal native, so I'm a bit biased, but generally, I'd rather spend a week on vacation in Diego than a week in San Fran. YMMV

Probably cause you're hobophobic.

• Members

EDIT: in response to your Hollywood grime question

It's just sorta dirty.. Can be smelly and covered in poop sometimes (animal and human)... Garbage (sometimes people like to ignore the trash cans every 15 {censored}ing feet)

• Members

Walk around Venice Beach for a few hours. Then while driving to Hollywood, drive around Beverly Hills. Walk around Hollywood Blvd for a couple hours. Visit Amoeba Records and the Psychiatry: An Industry of Death museum (Scientologists) on Sunset Blvd (and look for my birthplace on Sunset :wave: ). Go to the Mesa Boogie store, Guitar Center, and Sam Ash on Sunset. Get a tattoo and go home.

• Members

What is/was so grimy about Hollywood anyway? I always thought it was super gentrified and expensive.

Nah, actual geographic Hollywood has been downtrodden for decades. It got better because they built a new super-mall* and the Oscars theatre, so it became more tourist-friendly. The Hollywood Hills are expensive, though.

*qsBN2.jpg

Archived