cassettes for 4 track recorders

echodeluxe

• Members

I have a tascam 4 track that I got from andermocs years ago, and I'm gonna start using it again for some recording. I know jack {censored} about cassette types and what is best for decent low noise recording.

Can anyone point me to a good resource? Anyone super knowledgeable?

• Members

I'm going this route because my desktop is too slow for any decent recording. And I have the recorder. And its just gonna be to demo stuff.

Can you guys expand on why I should use those types? Bore me with the details, please.

Fair enough. Seems like too much trouble from my point of view. But YMMV, of course. :)

TASCAM made several different models of four track cassette Portastudios - it really depends on which one you have. The vast majority were designed to use Type II (high bias) tape and NOT Metal (Type IV) tape. Type I will be noisy and overload too easily, so even if it's cheaper, try to avoid those. 45, 60 and even 90 minute tapes are okay, but avoid 120 minute lengths - the tape is much thinner and prone to jamming. If the machine is a dual-speed model (1 7/8 or 3 3/4 IPS) always run it on the faster speed setting for the best fidelity. You'll use more tape, but it will sound MUCH better. Remember that those lengths are based on 1 7/8 IPS speed and DOUBLE SIDED recordings; since it's a four track, it's single sided, so even if you're running at 1 7/8, you'll only have half that amount of time available - 30 minutes with a C60 tape length... and if you're running at high speed (3 3/4 IPS), you'll only get 15 minutes of recording time out of a C60 tape.

If it has noise reduction, you'll probably want to engage that too.

• Members

Not really useful to the thread but - Years ago both me and a friend used to record everything on tape 4-track (there wasn't anything else). My friend put one of his recordings (a piano/synth track with lots of reverb and delay) into a normal tape player, so the recording was running slow and backwards, and it was the most amazing and spooky thing we'd ever heard. You could strive for years to come up with something so atmospheric and never get there.

I believe i'm supposed to say 'C.S.B.' at this point.

Archived