Ideal way to POWER my pedalboard ....

Dubravac

• Members

Hey guys, looking for some input on the best way to power my new pedalboard. On my pedalboard currently are the following ...

Ernie Ball VP JR Volume Pedal

TC Nova System

TC Polytune

Loopmaster ABY

As you can tell, only have 3 pedals that require 9V, and the Nova System that is powered with a power cord. As of now, i don't see the requirement or the need to spend the cash on a Voodoo Labs Power Unit (i may in the future, if i decide to add any dirt pedals, wah, etc ... for now, no) ...

Can you guys recommend the best ways to power my current setup ? I've read quite a bit that plugging it all into a power strip may cause hum and other problems. But whatever, just here to get some opinions and what you guys would do for this setup.

Thanks for your time!

• Members

Awesome guys, thanks a lot !!

Should i be looking for more of a box solution with noise filtering/conditioning .. or would a regular power strip suffice ? (ie. i would much rather spend $20-30 bucks than $200 lol ... but i will spend more if it means better sound).

• Members

the ideal way would be an iso 5 from voodoo labs; it has a courtesy outlet for your nova system. the cheap and mostly effective way is the 1spot.

i wouldn't worry about a power strip or conditioner. the 1spot might bring in some noise, but probably not.

just make sure you cap/tape off any exposed connectors on the 1spot.

• Members

also, the PolyTune has a built-in 9V power outlet capable of powering up to seven additional 9V stomp pedals

It does have a tap for other pedals but only acts as a bridge, like a tap in a daisy chain. The Polytune still needs to have a power source, ad you could only power up to 200mA. I would caution powering other pedals though, and only analog pedals, digital pedals will cause noise.

• Members

the ideal way would be an iso 5 from voodoo labs; it has a courtesy outlet for your nova system. the cheap and
mostly
effective way is the 1spot.

i wouldn't worry about a power strip or conditioner. the 1spot might bring in some noise, but probably not.

just make sure you cap/tape off any exposed connectors on the 1spot.

I think you are talking about the PP2+ having the accessory outlet. The ISO-5 doesn't have one.

• Members

Depends on if you see your pedal collection/board growing or not. My recommendation is to buy the best that you will ever need the first time, "only a rich man can afford to buy cheap things". I picked up my PedalPower 2+ used for a hair over $100, so they can be had.

• Members

Is that Diago Powerstation really any better than a 1 spot at preventing noise? And what about compared to a PP2, is it as good at preventing noise as the PP2?

Yes it is better at preventing noise than a one spot, never used a PP2 but I get zero noise with the Powerstation

• Members

PedalPower2+ would be overkill but would do a great job, and allow for a crap-ton of expandability in the future for you. I bought one several years ago and never regretted it at all. I have often used it to full capacity, powering high drain devices, and using the courtesy outlet. I have often considered buying a second for my other board but I managed to work that board down to just two things that actually need power (that M13 covers a lot of ground) so I just run a small power strip there with individual power supplies for the pedals. This is the same setup you actually "need" right now.

I use something like this for my power strip:

http://www.homedepot.com/buy/electrical-electrical-cords-cord-management-extension-cords/husky-9-ft-14-3-banana-tap-extension-cord-309240.html

The "banana tap" style is what you want. They're available at any hardware store. Two outlets on one side of the thing would power your TC Nova and a 1Spot, and you have a third outlet on the back for your amp or anything else you might need. Very low profile, no power switch to get tripped off by accident. Coils up better than a full power strip too.

• Members

For a tuner, a volume pedal and an ab/y it would be absurd to go buy a $200 power supply. Just get a onespot. The tuner's hardly ever on, i'm pretty sure the loopmaster ab/y only uses the power for the LED's, and the volume pedal is just a volume pedal. You have zero chance of getting noise from daisy chaining those together.

Archived