If you were to integrate a multi effects pedal into your rig for modulation...

IRG

• Members

It is somewhat surprising that Boss hasn't come out with anything really to compete with the M9/5 or the G3/5. Maybe they think it would take away sales from their single/double pedals, which is probably true to an extent. But I think they could still sell a lot, without hurting sales of their regular pedals too much.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Yes. Boss keeps making the GT series bigger with more gimicks. But what they need to do is making something smaller with better quality sounds. The Zoom multi's all have higher bit-rates than Boss, the delay's and reverbs really shimmer. I'm still using an old Boss GT-3 along with lots of external stomps, because I like to be able to turn two or three effects on or off with just one stomp and control perameters with the expression pedal on the fly. The GT-3 is also smaller than the rest of the GT line (just 18 inches across). If Boss freshened up that concept I'd be all over it. A nice compact multi with great stereo effects.

The Zoom G5 looks pretty good but it's still basically separate stomps all stuck together, so you can't switch a bunch on or off with one switch. I also use a Line 6 M9, it's got some great sounds in there, but still hasn't replaced the GT-3.

ME-50/70?

• Members

Some facts I know about the G3:

- Cheapest of the bunch

- Takes 9v Boss-style power

- Can stack up to 3 effects/patches at once

There's a bunch of others I can think of like being able to use it as a DI however they're not relevant to the situation at hand (AFAIK) but yeah.

• Members

this, I tend to HATE effects with too many features. I'm way too fiddly when it comes to multi effects. The bottom line is I want a pedal that I know sounds good and will sound good all the time. Whenever I have a pedal that has too many features or different sounds, I'm constantly changing it and I eventually just get fed up and take it off my board.

Oh god, I'm having a Pitchfactor PTSD flashback.

IRG, if you really want to go multi for modulation I would definitely go with the TC Nova Mod. Other than the tremolos I can't say I really like many of the M series modulations.

• Members

What's on your current board?

It's pretty full: Wah >cool cat vibe>MicroPog>Small Stone>MXR Mod OD>Pharaoh>SuperDrive>EB Jr.Vol>Stutterbox (tremolo)>MXR Micro Chorus>Delxe Memory Boy>iB Mod Nova>HoF: 1) Amp 2) Headrush>Amp2

So if I go a multiFX, I'm not sure I'm going to replace much on my current board, maybe the Headrush but that's fun toy by itself. The Micro Chorus and Stutterbox could be replaceable. But I like that they're analog.

It's just to amuse myself at home at this point.

• Members

Oh god, I'm having a Pitchfactor PTSD flashback.

IRG, if you really want to go multi for modulation I would definitely go with the TC Nova Mod. Other than the tremolos I can't say I really like many of the M series modulations.

I've thought about the Nova Mod before, I dunno. Seems sort of out of date right now. I've heard OK things about it though, but not many have it it seems. And the Eventide Modfactor doesn't seem to get very good reviews, only 1 effect at a time, and pricey.

• Members

G3, hands down. Even if the m-series sounds better, which I doubt, the G3's interface is second to none, the looper is fantastic for practice, and it costs $200 less. You have to work really hard to use up the processing power, and just running modulations thats not gonna happen anyway. Also, it makes for a great headphone amp/practice tool when noise is an issue. I packed mine up with a nice set of headphones, carried my Telecaster on Amtrak, and had a practice rig to make it through Christmas at the in-laws. The amp sims are, IMO, really good...the icing on the cake for a unit that really excels as part of a larger traditional rig.

Mine isn't in my main rig right now, but I don't see myself selling it anytime soon. Too many handy uses for it. Did I mention its also a USB/recording interface? Just get an expression pedal for it, and it'll be hard to ever let go of.

• Members

G3, hands down. Even if the m-series sounds better, which I doubt, the G3's interface is second to none, the looper is fantastic for practice, and it costs $200 less. You have to work really hard to use up the processing power, and just running modulations thats not gonna happen anyway. Also, it makes for a great headphone amp/practice tool when noise is an issue. I packed mine up with a nice set of headphones, carried my Telecaster on Amtrak, and had a practice rig to make it through Christmas at the in-laws. The amp sims are, IMO, really good...the icing on the cake for a unit that really excels as part of a larger traditional rig.

Mine isn't in my main rig right now, but I don't see myself selling it anytime soon. Too many handy uses for it. Did I mention its also a USB/recording interface? Just get an expression pedal for it, and it'll be hard to ever let go of.

Thanks, seems like the right tool for the job here.

• Members

I've thought about the Nova Mod before, I dunno. Seems sort of out of date right now. I've heard OK things about it though, but not many have it it seems. And the Eventide Modfactor doesn't seem to get very good reviews, only 1 effect at a time, and pricey.

I wouldn't go for either. TC effects are very love 'em or hate 'em in my experience. I personally don't dig TC modulations, their delays and reverbs are much nicer. The Modfactor is very cool but has limitations.

• Members

I wouldn't go for either. TC effects are very love 'em or hate 'em in my experience. I personally don't dig TC modulations, their delays and reverbs are much nicer. The Modfactor is very cool but has limitations.

Pretty much my conclusion as well.

• Members

Why do you want to go multi? You could always trade the the Stutterbox out for a smaller trem and pick up something like a VFE Enterprise or something and have a pretty versatile analog modulation section with the board real estate of only three MXR sized pedals.

• Members

I bought a G3 to use for mods, delays and verbs. They definitely do the job, though I think the delays are lacking a bit of character.

Though I didn't intend to, I've been using it a lot at a recording interface and with the amp models going direct. It excels here too.

I think it'd more than do the job for you, pretty easy to set up 3 good sounding mods in one patch and stomp them on/off as you please.

It's stupid cheap too.

• Members

I guess the first questions you need to ask is, will this be your only modulation pedal, and will you NEED to run 2 different modulation effects at the same time?

I only really use 1 at a time, and am really happy with my MM4 (So much so that I sent it in to get the drasp treatment) I think it sounds great (especially in stereo) and the interface on that series of pedals is just so good.

I used to own the Modfactor...and it does sound very good, but I got really tired of the interface/over abundance of options. If you enjoy sitting down and tweaking, you might like it though :idk:

• Members

What is the headroom like on the G3? As in if you are running separate drive pedals in front of the unit do you have to watch the levels?

I've run it with fuzz and od into my amp and haven't noticed any problems.

I've not tired it with the app models though, I plug straight in for that.

Archived