Analog vs Digital

• Members

Opinions? Experiences?

GOGOGOGOOGOGOGOGOGOGOGO

Personally I think digital can do a lot but analog gear has all these "buzzwords" which hold some truth. People bitch about digital being sterile but most of the time the thing that really makes analog gear is noise.

Not just like {censored}tons of hum and hiss but little bits that add something to the sound even if that means a lack of clarity.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Also/related:

jkMsU.jpg

The third one is funny to me because my girlfriend asked me one time why I have two VHS copies of Batman. The reason is that one has a Diet Coke commercial and the other doesn't, and sometimes, I'm in the mood for the commercial.

• Members

It still just boils down to which pedal evokes the mood that matches the song and the performance.

For example, it would be tempting for me to say that I prefer analog chorus, but I have a particular song where the cold flavor of the chorus / delay combo in my EHX 16SDD RI is perfect, and I've tried analog combos that just didn't capture the right feel and sound at all.

But I can safely say that I haven't heard a digital phaser or dirt pedal that has won me over yet.

• Members

I've found that I generally tend to prefer digital for things like delay (even digital emulations of analog delays) and reverb (pedals vs spring tanks) because there is such a great variety of sounds that can be tweaked to be exactly what you want which is nice for effects that have the possibility of getting in the way of your playing and analog for modulations and gain for the buzz words, but really they just sound bigger, have a bit more character, and are just...nicer...:lol:

There are obviously exceptions to every part of my opinion above, but I think it winds up working out that way more times than not.

• Members

And outside of pedals?

I prefer a real book to kindle..... *other book type tablets available.

I also like putting a digital disc into my wii rather than spending hours trying to load up a cassette game into a spectrum.

anything related to audio I tend to prefer analogue in general I guess... although I do love a well recorded/made CD but that's only really digital storage, as soon as it hits the DAC in my CD player it's analogue all the way to my ears, so you aren't really hearing anything 'digital' at all.

That would be the same with digital pedals, the old 1/4 jack socket in the side of your effects can't carry anything digital so what you hear is a digitally created sound effect but it has to be totally analogue when it leaves your pedal..... not that it has anything to do with anything much. :lol:

analogue really comes into it's own when 'on or off' just won't do ... like the analogue sticks on a playstation controller, you might not remember playing driving games when you'd be swerving down the road because the only steering you had was 'go straight' and 'turn' and nothing inbetween! ... so I guess that's a good example of analogue and digital together to get the best result.

everyone loves the old 'analogue Vs digital' thing but really, they both have uses and a hell of a lot of the time a combination of both works best... there isn't really that much that's totally pure digital even these days.

• Members

anything related to audio I tend to prefer analogue in general I guess... although I do love a well recorded/made CD but that's only really digital storage, as soon as it hits the DAC in my CD player it's analogue all the way to my ears, so you aren't really hearing anything 'digital' at all.

That would be the same with digital pedals, the old 1/4 jack socket in the side of your effects can't carry anything digital so what you hear is a digitally created sound effect but it has to be totally analogue when it leaves your pedal..... not that it has anything to do with anything much.
:lol:

Yep, totally true. I tend to laugh when someone says something sounds digital.

For me all that matters is the sound and the experience of using the piece of gear. The things people complain about with digital gear are usually to do with cheap digital. And ironically it's the analogue parts of cheap digital converters that ruin the sound a lot of the time.

Also, the kinds of distortions that we enjoy are totally arbitrary and just based on what we've heard before. The distorted riff in "Satisfaction" to my ears is no better sounding that a ds-1 into a crate practice amp, but because it was a hit song that lots of people know, we deem that to be "good" distortion. That makes it hard for digital in the guitar world because people approach tones with these totally arbitrary rules that are hard to predict from person to person. We call distortion, ringy eq issues, phase shifts etc "Character" until they annoy us, then they're mud. It's usually based on what we're playing at the time and how we feel when we play it.

Archived