4 pedals for a Radiohead DIY pedalboard

• Members

My 12-year old kid want us to build a small pedalboard of his own. I thought we should have some kind of underlying theme around the build and the acquisition of new pedals.

So, what are 4 "Must Have" Radiohead pedals (not including a tuning pedal)? It would cool if one of them were available as an easy-to-build kit from BYOC or GGG.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I just saw Yorkie and Friends on Tuesday and I was pretty surprised that he played all the main rhythm parts to each song. It was really unexpected because I assumed the creative rhythm work was Jonny or the other guy. It really felt like the Yorkie show but it was pretty cool regardless.

• Members

What era/sounds are you thinking?

I guess a general rec of:

Rat (or Shredmaster)

DOD 440 type envelope filter

Some kind of delay (probably a pt2399 based/analog sounding variety)

Maybe vibrato or chorus?

I'm pretty sure the Shredmaster is a BYOC kit, I know there's a GGG DOD 440 kit. I don't know too much about the PT-80 kit from GGG - you'll want something for crazy oscillations and short/medium delay (Greenwood's Space Echo I think). The chorus is a toss up, I'd guess chorus or phaser (Small Stone?) and they might be a bit harder to find a kit for.

Edit: Crap, I was giving you recs for a strictly DIY board...:facepalm:

• Members

What era/sounds are you thinking?

I guess a general rec of:

Rat (or Shredmaster)

DOD 440 type envelope filter

Some kind of delay (probably a pt2399 based/analog sounding variety)

Maybe vibrato or chorus?

I'm pretty sure the Shredmaster is a BYOC kit, I know there's a GGG DOD 440 kit. I don't know too much about the PT-80 kit from GGG - you'll want something for crazy oscillations and short/medium delay (Greenwood's Space Echo I think). The chorus is a toss up, I'd guess chorus or phaser (Small Stone?) and they might be a bit harder to find a kit for.

Edit: Crap, I was giving you recs for a strictly DIY board...
:facepalm:

That's fine. I already have a DIY Rat ready to go. And I've built a Univox Super Fuzz kit as well. So I'm ready for another challenge. (But not sure if I want to build a delay.)

• Members

There is no rat on his board, imho.

1) He uses a marshall shredmaster/boss sd-1. There is a kit at byoc called "the shredder".

2) Delay and Reverb is very important. The boss RV-3 would be perfect for that.

3) a small stone/ polychorus for weird sounds.

4) Tremolo. There are several diy kits for tremolos.

• Members

2) Delay and Reverb is very important. The boss RV-3 would be perfect for that.

Agreed. though tap's pretty important I'd say, so either this or dl-4. Or a Nova Repeater. Or a flashback delay (has tap?). Golly there's so many options these days.

• Members

I just saw Yorkie and Friends on Tuesday and I was pretty surprised that he played all the main rhythm parts to each song. It was really unexpected because I assumed the creative rhythm work was Jonny or the other guy. It really felt like the Yorkie show but it was pretty cool regardless.

we were at the same show... it was good. you said said hi and bought me one of those $11 slices of pizza papa ginos was walking around with .

on point: filter, rat, delay, reverb.

• Members

Man, I already have 2 of these pedals on my own board: the RV-3 and an old Rat. I've also got a Small Clone, not the Small Stone. Seems like the Envelope Filter is what we should start with then, and maybe in a DIY kit. Would a 440 work, or should I keep looking for a 404 kit?

Archived