4 pedals for a Radiohead DIY pedalboard

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Cool thread, I dig Radiohead and though I haven't thought about trying to get their sound much it's a nice idea. I have an SD-1, Shredmaster, and a DE-7, and I see the newer (90's) DOD filters going for about $30 used. No AC-30 or Fender Eighty-Five, but I have a tube and an SS amp, good enough for me. I do have a Phase 90, but I don't think that's useful.

You are a really cool dad

+1.

"Jonny Greenwood gear" leads to this as the top link, which I like. It includes the two shots of I guess the 2006 Haiti show that I see posted a lot. I figure between two the two distortions, a filter, and a delay, I would be off to a good start. I had found a good thread that I'll link to again if I find it later. From what I recall, Jonny uses one signal chain for clean going through an AC-30, and another including the SD-1 and Shredmaster through an old Fender Eighty-Five SS amp for dirt. One aspect of his setup that intrigued me was that he apparently uses the volume pedal to control the input gain of the Shredmaster, which I think is always on?

Here's that thread.

• Members

I might rather skip modulation and go with the 2 drives, volume, and a delay, but only because I don't care for modulation. Replacing either a drive or the volume with some kind of modulation would be truer to Jonny, but choosing especially an affordable option would be difficult as it seems that his tone in that regard depends on the song. I like the idea of a filter or tremolo to stay cheap, but maybe a Whammy would be more useful for someone who can use it well. When it comes to weird sounds, the first songs I think of are Paranoid Android and Iron Lung, so... ?!

I don't think being this picky matters for a young beginner, unless he's dead set on getting it right. I would be happy getting close and keeping a versatile setup.

• Members

"Jonny Greenwood gear" leads to
as the top link, which I like. It includes the two shots of I guess the 2006 Haiti show that I see posted a lot. I figure between two the two distortions, a filter, and a delay, I would be off to a good start. I had found a good thread that I'll link to again if I find it later. From what I recall, Jonny uses one signal chain for clean going through an AC-30, and another including the SD-1 and Shredmaster through an old Fender Eighty-Five SS amp for dirt. One aspect of his setup that intrigued me was that he apparently uses the volume pedal to control the input gain of the Shredmaster, which I think is always on?

great link.

interesting to see he's using an EHX Freeze now.

• Members

Oh christ the dreaded Jonny signal path lol

Its all one long chain then is split by the Boss LS 2 at the end. The signal goes A) Vox AC30 or B) volume / Shredmaster > Fender 85

Hence the Shredmaster is always on via the Fender 85. He stomps on the LS2 to select it and route his signal to the Fender 85

Shredmaster is all stock (Plank has confirmed this and is Jonnys tech)

• Members

Also, what's the big deal about the DOD 440? Seems like the big appeal is about how "subtle" it is, which is actually the last thing I'd want from an envelope filter personally. I build a clone of the 440 once. Two controls, not a whole lot of weird sounds to dial in, very very meh impo, especially considering the bazillion of other cool modulation effects of the last 30 years:idk:

Archived