The Modulation Section On Delay's With Modulation...

• Members

What exactly is it?

I've been thinking about ordering a Skrecho, but then this evening I might have found a DM-2 for a good price.

Of cause, it doesn't have modulation. Truth is, I don't even know what exactly creates the modulation on delays that have it.

Is it phaser, chorus, vibrato? Something else?

I'm thinking I might pick up a nice small form-factor mod pedal that i can put into a clean blend loop with the DM-2 and have the best of both worlds...

• Members

the thing is, how you can simulate a modulated delay, without a delay with fx loop?

is there a way?

Split your signal, one signal into a mixer, other into a 100% wet delay into modulation into mixer. Or get someone to turn the time knob on your delay pedal slowly back and forth.

• Members

Split your signal, one signal into a mixer, other into a 100% wet delay into modulation into mixer. Or get someone to turn the time knob on your delay pedal slowly back and forth.

doesn't sound so brilliant, better going with a modulated delay, IMO

• Members

I'm thinking I might pick up a nice small form-factor mod pedal that i can put into a clean blend loop with the DM-2 and have the best of both worlds...

Not quite so simple. Modulated delays leave your direct signal alone and only apply the modulation effect (usually sounds like a chorus, but can be tweaked to create pitch vibrato in some cases) to the delay repeats.

On a delay with separate wet and dry outputs (like the DM-3, but not the DM-2) you could apply effects to the wet output separately, which obviously opens up the possibility of much more than just modulated delay too. Unless you run two amps you'd still need to find a way to re-combine the wet and dry signals at some point though, not to mention having pedals dedicated to a signal path that might not be passing signal when the delay pedal is turned off.

Do you even *need* modulation? It does add to the possibilities for weirdness, makes for richer sounding delay repeats and a more synthy sound to "pad" type sounds, but it can easily sound very dated and cheesy in the same way chorus does.

• Members

Yeah I realise having mod after delay isn't the same as a delay with mod, but I figured if I put both effects into a loop with a clean blend I could get an approximation.

I was messing around with a DD-7 today and both the Analog and Modulation modes were a lot of fun.

• Members

Yeah I realise having mod after delay isn't the same as a delay with mod, but I figured if I put both effects into a loop with a clean blend I could get an approximation.

I guess, but by the same token if you have a modulation pedal in your chain anyway, why not just use that?

Yes, there's going to be some difference between having the modulation before the delay and after, but both ways are equally far removed from a proper modulated delay.

Archived