OT: 1 guitar, $2K. Go!

dkerwood

• Members
Edwards_www.kepfeltoltes.hu_.jpg

This. And you would still have enough left over to buy a horrible used car.

{censored} that's nice.

I would say either a good Tele or 335 hollowbody type guitar with a coil tap. Or one of each. used 52 tele + a hagstrom hollowbody or something.

• Members
I would have one custom built in that price range...

This.

I got my dream guitar - tons of versatility - built for $1,800 by Steve Benford at BenfordGuitars.com. I couldn't be more pleased with everything - the build quality is awesome, playability superb, his attention to every single detail I requested is pretty fantastic IMO. I requested a specific pair of pickups, and he even suggested I try something different for what I was looking for, but I didn't listen - He was right. :lol:... I swapped 'em out last year for a pair of Porter "Clear" Humbuckers and now it is indeed the PERFECT guitar for me.

Regardless of what guitar you get, if you're wanting that much versatility, I strongly recommend coil tapping of some kind. I have the series/parallel wiring in my guitar - gives me VERY convincing single coil/tele/strat tones. Basically, coil tapping allows you a multitude of tones in your one guitar, and humbuckers give you even more options. :thu:

Here's the link on his page to my guitar pics:
http://benfordguitars.com/adambdc.html
He'll even give you detailed progress updates on your guitar:
http://benfordguitars.com/adambdcprogress.html

• Members

My strat?

CJMVenter_Stereo_Strat_Body.jpg

It looks a bit different now, though. Has all black pickups except the middle. Black lace custom shop in the neck, and a chrome lace in the middle. That CS pickup sounds sooo awesome.

• Members

This.

I got my dream guitar - tons of versatility - built for $1,800 by
Steve Benford at BenfordGuitars.com
. I couldn't be more pleased with everything - the build quality is awesome, playability superb, his attention to every single detail I requested is pretty fantastic IMO. I requested a specific pair of pickups, and he even suggested I try something different for what I was looking for, but I didn't listen - He was right.
:lol:
... I swapped 'em out last year for a pair of Porter "Clear" Humbuckers and now it is indeed the PERFECT guitar for me.

Regardless of what guitar you get, if you're wanting that much versatility, I strongly recommend coil tapping of some kind. I have the series/parallel wiring in my guitar - gives me VERY convincing single coil/tele/strat tones. Basically, coil tapping allows you a multitude of tones in your one guitar, and humbuckers give you even more options.
:thu:

Here's the link on his page to my guitar pics:

http://benfordguitars.com/adambdc.html

He'll even give you detailed progress updates on your guitar:

http://benfordguitars.com/adambdcprogress.html

Dude, that guitar is GORGEOUS. I'm not a fan of most of his finishes, but yours is great. How did you guarantee that it would be comfortable? I've kicked around the idea of a custom axe, but I've been scared to death that I'd spend the $$$$ and get handed a guitar that didn't feel right.

• Members

Gretsch Duo Jet. You can get a new one for far less than 2K. Spend the rest of the money on a bridge replacement, and TV Jones. You'd be surprised how versatile it is. Won't sound exactly like any of the guitars you're replacing, but can fill in for any of their contexts just fine. Twangy? Check. Thick rhythm tone? Check. Sparkle and chime? You get the point.

I was gonna say this.

• Members

Dude, that guitar is GORGEOUS. I'm not a fan of most of his finishes, but yours is great. How did you guarantee that it would be comfortable? I've kicked around the idea of a custom axe, but I've been scared to death that I'd spend the $$$$ and get handed a guitar that didn't feel right.

Thanks man! :)

You're absolutely correct - ANY time you get a custom guitar made, you're taking a risk that it may not be exactly what you're looking for. However, Steve is completely willing to work with you, and as long as you're specific - as specific and detailed as you want to be, I really don't think you'll be disappointed. I went with a C-shape neck with a very slight assymetrical curve in it - easily the most comfortable neck I've ever played.

And when I say details, I really mean details - be as absolutely specific as you possibly can be, and you won't be disappointed. Steve does a fantastic job with all of his builds, but especially his full custom builds. On those, you control virtually every detail on the guitar. :thu:

• Members

I'll say it again: If you want versatility, go with Music Man. Their 5-way + series/parallel switching is pretty much the most useful setup you can imagine, and they're one of the few makes I'd say are crafted well enough to actually reflect their price point. Seriously, fine watches. Also, they look funky/awesome:

reflexg_02.jpg

• Members
Gretsch Duo Jet. You can get a new one for far less than 2K. Spend the rest of the money on a bridge replacement, and TV Jones. You'd be surprised how versatile it is. Won't sound exactly like any of the guitars you're replacing, but can fill in for any of their contexts just fine. Twangy? Check. Thick rhythm tone? Check. Sparkle and chime? You get the point.

This is excellent advice.

• Members

^^ The challenge is finding a place to PLAY one. No EB dealers around here other than GC, and even they don't carry more than one or two EB basses.

Same here, really. The local GC has just a few - a Reflex HH and a few Axis models high up on the wall - but even the GC beaters are so impressive that I'd have no problem buying sight-unseen. If you're into clean manufacturing and can get on with the looks, I don't think there's any other company I'd go with, including the Suhr/Anderson boutique brigade.

• Members

I'll say it again: If you want versatility, go with Music Man
. Their 5-way + series/parallel switching is pretty much the most useful setup you can imagine, and
they're one of the few makes I'd say are crafted well enough to actually reflect their price point.
Seriously, fine watches. Also, they look funky/awesome:

I don't know about that particular model but I completely agree, they are incredible guitars and often overlooked.

I've got a Petrucci in the mail and having owned a few before I can say it's easily the most versatile guitar I've owned. Pickup options + piezo + one of the most stable trems I've ever used.

Archived