Pros that use low wattage amps...

• Members

If you're playing live mic'd up through a PA then wattage is just a matter of personal taste, you are only going to run into issues in rehearsal rooms where low wattage amps may not be loud enough to compete with a drummer. I've often had problems with anything under 30watts in a rehearsal room

• Members

You'll notice that most pros who use low wattage amps live use two of them...2 AC-15's or two Deluxe Reverbs are a {censored} ton louder than one AC-30 or Super Reverb. Half the wattage is only a couple of dB difference in volume...so two amps at half the wattage are going to be a lot louder than a single similar amp rated at twice the wattage.

Bizarre application of the "only a few dB argument" -- the same argument applies that 2 amps are only a few dB louder than 1. And in fact doubling the power and the number of speakers results in the exact same change whether it's 2 amps or just 1 larger one.

I find this better of an example of why a few dBs are very significant. 2 amps actually are exactly as much louder than 1 as you would expect before you start playing with numbers. It's not so much louder faces melt off, but it is substantial. If you were jamming with some people and suddenly turned on a 2nd amp, do you think no one would notice? It's not 100% sure that everyone would stop and go "WTF?" but it is likely.

Pewtershmit wrote:

nowadays there is no reason to require the db from a big wattage amp. the tone on the other hand is up to the user. bigger transformers and higher output tubes like EL34's and 6L6's have a different tone. I for one have always found most high wattage head don't mush up as much at band volumes, they tend to stay clearer and tighter.

Yeah many like the sound of the bigger amp, although cranked to the same level of distortion (not the same volume), I find the smaller amp tighter, but due to being crunchier and less smooth.

• Members

If you're playing live mic'd up through a PA then wattage is just a matter of personal taste, you are only going to run into issues in rehearsal rooms where low wattage amps may not be loud enough to compete with a drummer. I've often had problems with anything under 30watts in a rehearsal room

where in relation to your ears is said 30 watt amp? it doesn't matter how many watts you have if your amp is pointed at your knees!

• Members

Some of us that don't always have the luxury of mic'ing an amp at a club. And dealing with drummers who don't know the word volume control. And that's alright.

Would love to have a pair of Matchless Phoenix 35 on stage, but don't have $8000 to burn these days.

• Members

my 50 watt peavey with 4x10 speakers is an amazing sounding amplifier. the cleans are full and dynamic, and the drive channel is actually really great sounding. the tens really sound incredible too. i love tens because they have good bass response and a really clear articultate high end but dont get farty like 12's or sound small like 8's.

however, that {censored}er is heavy and big. and 50 watts goes a long {censored}ing way. the normal channel sounds incredible cranked but, when can i ever do that?

true the amp has a master volume but i essentially take it out of the circuit by having it set at full always. im not a master volume fan.

what i would really like to do is keep the classic 50 for larger venues or whatever and get a pair of lower wattage amps for most gigs i do. im thinking like a blues jr/pro jr and an ac15 or maybe even a pathfinder. all of the videos of the pathfinder sound really really great and if theres any testament to how wonderful they are, Fiest is it.

i will never do a "stack". if i ever do a head and cab combo again, it will be a vintage fender head (bassman, tremolux, bandmaster) and a small 2x12.

my dream amp? 1955 gibson ga-30. im sure you guys have seen the Wattson shop amp. its just so amazing. i think its around 22 watts, with the weirdest circuit topology and the coolest speaker combination: a 12" jensen and an 8" jensen. most amazing full response. the amp has practically no eq to speak of, and you dont need it. jim let me play it for a gig and it was incredible. we are going to end up doing a clone of it soon because i really really want one but the chances of finding another one from that same year in working order is real slim.

so yeah.

• Members

my dream amp? 1955 gibson ga-30. im sure you guys have seen the Wattson shop amp. its just so amazing. i think its around 22 watts, with the weirdest circuit topology and the coolest speaker combination: a 12" jensen and an 8" jensen. most amazing full response. the amp has practically no eq to speak of, and you dont need it. jim let me play it for a gig and it was incredible. we are going to end up doing a clone of it soon because i really really want one but the chances of finding another one from that same year in working order is real slim.

so yeah.

I don't think those '55 GA-30s are anywhere near that loud are they? Nic's '51 GA-30 is about as loud as a tweed Deluxe which tops out at about 12-15 watts give or take.

Killer amps - that '51 is easily in the top 10 best I've ever played.

• Members

where in relation to your ears is said 30 watt amp? it doesn't matter how many watts you have if your amp is pointed at your knees!

We try and jack them off the floors, on chairs but who has their amp at ear height!?

I should have qualified that statement by saying that I like to have a clean sound so that's more to do with headroom than anything

• Members

I should have qualified that statement by saying that I like to have a clean sound so that's more to do with headroom than anything

I've found I can get plenty of good clean headroom and still keep up with a drummer with certain guitars and amps just by backing off my guitar's Volume control a bit. Depending on the amp, I can dial the guitar back to 8 or so and lighten up my pick attack a little and it cleans right up.

• Members

I don't think those '55 GA-30s are anywhere near that loud are they? Nic's '51 GA-30 is about as loud as a tweed Deluxe which tops out at about 12-15 watts give or take.

Killer amps - that '51 is easily in the top 10 best I've ever played.

the circuit for the '55 is supposedly very unique to that year. cant find a schematic besides the one jim drafted, and i dont think we ever measured RMS. however, kept up in a large room with a loud drummer so great. rode that volume knob hard. mmmmmm doggy.

• Members

the circuit for the '55 is supposedly very unique to that year. cant find a schematic besides the one jim drafted, and i dont think we ever measured RMS. however, kept up in a large room with a loud drummer so great. rode that volume knob hard. mmmmmm doggy.

Right on - a louder version of that amp would seriously rule erksin's world.

• Members

I rock a 40W combo, but I have never turned it up past 3 or 4, and that was outside. Most of the time, my volume knob is set at 1 or less.

My favorite small combo story- I went to go see a friend's band play... they were the headliner. The two bands before them were a pop rock outfit and a hard rock band. Both used a couple of half stacks with 50 to 100 W heads and their bass players share an 8x10 Ampeg stack with several hundred watts. For both bands, the sound guy kept telling them that if they will turn down, he can crank them in the house. They ignore him (of course), and the resulting mix is guitar heavy, muddy, buries the vocals, and painfully loud.

Then comes my friends band- 2 Blues Jr amps (mic'd), a keyboard running direct, and a bassist going direct but using a Hartke kickback amp for a monitor. The soundman took over and it was night and day. The mix was clear and you could hear everything perfectly. Bass thumped you in the chest, and the PA didn't need to dedicate its entire power to pushing vocals. It was honestly the difference between a professional band sound and a garage band sound.

Ever since then, I've lived by the "less is more" mentality. I've even been doing more and more gigs direct into the PA using a Tech 21 Blonde.

Archived