Goodhonk! New Tame Impala...

renula

• Members

It's okay. A little dance-y for me, but it's not a bad track.

My only issue is that it sounds very throwback-ish, which is a dangerous ground for psych-rock bands to tread on. As derivative as people have always claimed Tame Impala to be, they did have their own sound and this unusual, sunny, colorful, inviting quality that was unique. I feel like the two tracks released from the new album lack that quality, either being too busy, too lofty, or, in this case, too overtly glam/dance/retro sounding in a way that doesn't flatter them, IMO.

Oh, and I don't know if I'm feeling the "Magic Man" synth happening at 1:15.

• Members

thanks ren! thought it was the whole album for a minute and nearly lost control.

on a somewhat related note; you guys, tame implala fans, listen to can? i just learned about em from the "favorite albums" thread. cool stuff.

queerily enough, can put on a show in phoenix the day before i learned about them.

[video=youtube;kNhuwkmmzak]

• Members

It's okay. A little dance-y for me, but it's not a bad track.

My only issue is that it sounds
very
throwback-ish, which is a dangerous ground for psych-rock bands to tread on. As derivative as people have always claimed Tame Impala to be, they did have their own sound and this unusual, sunny, colorful, inviting quality that was unique. I feel like the two tracks released from the new album lack that quality, either being too busy, too lofty, or, in this case, too overtly glam/dance/retro sounding in a way that doesn't flatter them, IMO.

Oh, and I don't know if I'm feeling the "Magic Man" synth happening at 1:15.

I think they have passed the 'dangerous ground' phase long ago. To me the slavishly ape 60s psych rock sounds. They especially sound very similar to The Nazz (Todd Rundgren's 60s band). They are a cool band, but shamelessly derivative of a particularly sound. I saw them live and it was cool and I like the first album a lot...good songs. But I don't think they're at all original...not that it matters.

[video=youtube;PjKx-yLOGEY]

• Members

This song hasn't hit me as hard as Apocalypse Dreams did. Now that's a jam. This song I think is more a direct, uh, homage? reference? to older psych-rock. Apocalypse obviously nods to that as well, but the structure and some of the weirder moments are definitey more indicative of what Tame Impala has been doing. With Elephant, after the first minute and a half, I felt like I'd already heard the whole song. Cool riff, but it made me feel like I'd heard it before, you smell me? In any case, I'm very interested to hear the rest of the new album.

Archived