Totally amazing band practice tonight

Vince

• Members

I was asked recently to put together a band to play a few covers at an event coming up in September, and after a bit of back and forth with the organisers we ended up with a list of about 4 songs. The event is a celebration of an 18 year old guy called Michael Knight who died in his sleep 3 years ago, so all the songs are special to him (were on his iPod etc), and to cut a long story short, we've got a 6 piece string section joining us to play this:

[video=youtube;snCtflCyjHs]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=snCtflCyjHs

We've been rehearsing on our own for a while, but tonight was the first time the string musicians joined us, and it sounded AMAZING. Quite possibly the highlight of my (limited) musical career. The keys player and I just grinned at each other like idiots the whole way through! :lol::facepalm:

TL/DR? Playing with a 6 piece string section rocks

• Members

Fantastic.

I got to play with a quartet once for a recording session - they from the Paris Opera, me on a cheap bass I'd borrowed the night before :lol:.

Man they were astonishing. Came in chatting and finishing cigarettes, sat down never having seen the music before, and then played like their lives were ending. Rarely can I use the word awesome with its proper meaning. Awesome.

• Members

Yup, totally humbling - sure, they'd had a few practices on their own, but they just nailed it. Made us sound like sloppy amateurs.

I think the whole thing is being recorded/filmed live, so I might even be able to post clips at some point!

Fantastic.

I got to play with a quartet once for a recording session - they from the Paris Opera, me on a cheap bass I'd borrowed the night before
:lol:

Man they were astonishing. Came in chatting and finishing cigarettes, sat down never having seen the music before, and then played like their lives were ending. Rarely can I use the word awesome with its proper meaning. Awesome.

• Members
TL/DR? Playing with a 6 piece string section rocks

Never played with strings. I played with a sorta kinda brass section a while ago (church music creates all sorts of strange ensembles) and loved it. I'd be interested in seeing some clips too. Sad story about the young guy :(

Archived