iPB-10 Thoughts For DigiTech...

Ricovette

• Members

I just received my DigiTech iPB-10 a couple of weeks ago. I really think the concept is awesome! However, I truly believe that with a few minor changes, the iPB-10 could be totally amazing! First: The iPad Dock should be made so that the user can adjust the viewing angle for his or her convenience. This would be a HUGE upgrade to a following version of the iPB-10. Since I have mine on my office desk and do not plan on moving it from there, this feature would be wonderful! The way the iPB-10's iPad Dock is made I really don't think this would be a difficult task to accomplish. I have mine mounted on a Fender guitar stand on my desk so that I can sit and play my guitar and be able to view the iPad. Second: The Foot Pedal should be DETACHABLE. I should be able to keep my iPB-10 on my desk and remove the foot pedal and place it on the floor where it is convenient for me to use. This would also be a BIG PLUS for people like me that need their equipment elevated. I know what you're thinking... "It's a Pedal board", but for me, it's a lot more than that. Last, but not least: The Foot Switches should be "QUIET"... Like the ones on the Boss GT-100 which are the best switches, as far as being "SILENT", that I have seen. Don't get me wrong, I am a DigiTech man 100%. I made the mistake of purchasing a Boss GT-100 and trust me...it went right back in a matter of weeks. I am totally in love with the iPB-10 and I want to thank DigiTech so much for such an awesome piece of equipment! These are just some things that I think, in my opinion, would be outstanding upgrades to a future model of the DigiTech iPB-10. By the way, I would buy a model with these changes in a heartbeat...lol. Stay safe... "Rico"

• Members

Couldn't you put your iPad on your desk and hook it up with a cable leaving the iPB on the floor?

I thought about that, and yes that would work, but it's the idea of making the iPB-10 completely versatile. Stay safe... "Rico"

• Members

given how ridiculously fragile ipads are, I just don't think it's a great idea to put it in proximity of my feet. I just got back from the apple store where I had to have my phone replaced for a smashed screen from a very short drop, and know 3 people who've smashed their ipad screens in the past month. I like the idea of being able to use the iPad as a sound processor, but wouldn't consider this product unless Apple started making things that don't break when you look at them funny. Maybe Digitech could redesign this with some sort of integrated screen protector, or do a smaller stomp switch unit that connects via cord. That I might consider.

• Members

given how ridiculously fragile ipads are, I just don't think it's a great idea to put it in proximity of my feet. I just got back from the apple store where I had to have my phone replaced for a smashed screen from a very short drop, and know 3 people who've smashed their ipad screens in the past month. I like the idea of being able to use the iPad as a sound processor, but wouldn't consider this product unless Apple started making things that don't break when you look at them funny. Maybe Digitech could redesign this with some sort of integrated screen protector, or do a smaller stomp switch unit that connects via cord. That I might consider.

The way the the iPB-10 is designed provides really good protection for the iPad. It is deeply inset and sealed around the edges with a rubber gasket. The angles of the iPB-10 make it quite difficult to get your foot in the iPad area. One user built a plastic cover for the iPad area but eventually abandoned it after using the iPB-10 at shows since it was unnecessary.

Also, covering the iPad removes one of the greatest things about the iPB-10, the ability to edit on the fly. It is quite liberating to have a computer attached to your MFX processor with direct access to the guts of the MFX at all times.

• Members

I totally understand your concern, and I thought the same thing until I actually used one and fell in love with it. The iPad is pretty secure making it pretty difficult to bust it with your feet. The Nexus App. with the 87 stomp boxes is pretty cool. My only problem is that I need about 40% more SUSTAIN and a FEEDBACK EFFECT which is lacking at this point in the Nexus App.. I really don't want to go and buy these stomp boxes seperately just in case DigiTech adds them to their upcoming update. Other than that, I couldn't be any happier with my iPB-10. Try one for an hour or so and tell me if you don't get hooked...lol. Stay safe... "Rico"

• Members

I just want an effects system with a stomp box type layout like how Zoom and the Line6 M13 have done without amp modeling. I do like the idea and the ease of use of the iPB10 except for the $499 price tag plus having to still go out and buy a $399 iPad. We're talking about $900 for an effects unit that will be outdated rather quickly. For $900 I'm buying a good amp or another Les Paul, not an effects unit.

Now, if you could get me a processor that is laid out similar to the Zoom and Line 6 stuff for $199-$299, now we're talking!

I do like DigiTech stomp boxes though! I heavily rely on my DigiDelay and I also have a Whammy. I just cannot justify the huge total cost for the iPD10.

• Members

I totally understand your concern, and I thought the same thing until I actually used one and fell in love with it. The iPad is pretty secure making it pretty difficult to bust it with your feet. The Nexus App. with the 87 stomp boxes is pretty cool. My only problem is that I need about 40% more SUSTAIN and a FEEDBACK EFFECT which is lacking at this point in the Nexus App.. I really don't want to go and buy these stomp boxes seperately just in case DigiTech adds them to their upcoming update. Other than that, I couldn't be any happier with my iPB-10. Try one for an hour or so and tell me if you don't get hooked...lol. Stay safe... "Rico"

try one of the compressors, one of them has sustain knob to turn up. feedback is pretty easy too, just turn your amp up louder. make sure the noise gate is off too

• Members

I just want an effects system with a stomp box type layout like how Zoom and the Line6 M13 have done without amp modeling. I do like the idea and the ease of use of the iPB10 except for the $499 price tag plus having to still go out and buy a $399 iPad. We're talking about $900 for an effects unit that will be outdated rather quickly. For $900 I'm buying a good amp or another Les Paul, not an effects unit.

Now, if you could get me a processor that is laid out similar to the Zoom and Line 6 stuff for $199-$299, now we're talking!

I do like DigiTech stomp boxes though! I heavily rely on my DigiDelay and I also have a Whammy. I just cannot justify the huge total cost for the iPD10.

Interesting... What makes you think the iPB-10 will be "outdated rather quickly"? In my opinion, unless DigiTech screws up, this is the future of effects units and it can only get better from here. I may be wrong... Is there something you know that I don't? I'm curious... "Rico"

• Members

try one of the compressors, one of them has sustain knob to turn up. feedback is pretty easy too, just turn your amp up louder. make sure the noise gate is off too

Thanks for the heads up on the compressor. I am using the BLUE one which is the one with SUSTAIN on it, but the SUSTAIN on this is barely noticeable. I just recently sold my Pigtronics Philosopher's Tone right before I got my iPB-10 and that thing had an incredible SUSTAIN! The SUSTAIN on that was almost infinite. I need to achieve the same SUSTAIN on the iPB-10. I'm hoping DigiTech does come up with an update containing a good SUSTAIN pedal. As far as FEEDBACK EFFECT goes... I wear headphones when I play...the music goes from my guitar to the iPB-10 to my amp and then to my computer and then to my headphones, so I need a FEEDBACK EFFECT pedal if I want to hear feedback in my playing. I could turn the amp all the way up and I wouldn't achieve anything except a busted eardrum...lol. I have a great deal of hope for my iPB-10 and I am looking forward to enjoying it for many years to come. I just want to be able to achieve the effects that I want, even if I have to pay for them on the NEXUS APP.. I just don't want DigiTech to let it die out. "Rico"

• Members

Interesting... What makes you think the iPB-10 will be "outdated rather quickly"? In my opinion, unless DigiTech screws up, this is the future of effects units and it can only get better from here. I may be wrong... Is there something you know that I don't? I'm curious... "Rico"

Well for starters Apple releases a new iPad ever year. At most the DigiTech will only be good for two years because Apple does not let their iPhones or iPads go with the same design and dimensions for more than that. So the next redesign of the iPad may not fit in your docking bay on the iPB. Let me also state the major flaw in this product is $900 for the iPB and iPad. NINE HUNDRED!!! The POD HD500 and the M13 are way too good of products at half the price for most people to justify the iPB.

• Members

Well for starters Apple releases a new iPad ever year. At most the DigiTech will only be good for two years because Apple does not let their iPhones or iPads go with the same design and dimensions for more than that. So the next redesign of the iPad may not fit in your docking bay on the iPB.

That is why we designed the iPB-10 with custom-fit iPad inserts. For any changes to the size of the iPad, we would just include a corresponding tray.

Let me also state the major flaw in this product is $900 for the iPB and iPad. NINE HUNDRED!!! The POD HD500 and the M13 are way too good of products at half the price for most people to justify the iPB.

The iPB-10 is aimed at the millions of guitarists who already own an iPad.

These questions and more have been covered extensively in Craig Anderton's iPB-10 review that has been ongoing for nearly a year.

I am more than happy to continue to answer these questions here, but it seems redundant.

• Members

im with "Rico", this product is one of the countless products try to cash in on apples' zombie customers spending 1000s trying to immitate what they see people using on the gilmour girls and that jennifer aniston movie where she falls in love with a guy that she was just friends with before but after a bad breakup she realized what she was looking for was there the whole time, right in front of her and they come in cute colors.

• Members

That is why we designed the iPB-10 with custom-fit iPad inserts. For any changes to the size of the iPad, we would just include a corresponding tray.

The iPB-10 is aimed at the millions of guitarists who already own an iPad.

These questions and more have been covered extensively in
that has been ongoing for nearly a year.

I am more than happy to continue to answer these questions here, but it seems redundant.

It's funny the way many people complain about the price of the iPB-10. I am being extremely conservative with the following numbers... If you calculate how many stomp boxes and price, you will end up with more than $8,700.00 worth of effects pedals... If you calculate the amps., you will end up with more than $16,200.00 worth of amps... If you calculate the cabinets, you will end up with more than $9,100.00 worth of cabinets. A grand total of OVER $34,000.00 worth of equipment for $900.00 with iPad or $499.00 already owning an iPad. So, looking at the numbers...it's a no brainer due to the fact that the iPB-10 is extremely well made and delivers beautiful tones. You're only limited by your own imagination... Rico

• Members

It's funny the way many people complain about the price of the iPB-10. I am being extremely conservative with the following numbers... If you calculate how many stomp boxes and price, you will end up with more than $8,700.00 worth of effects pedals... If you calculate the amps., you will end up with more than $16,200.00 worth of amps... If you calculate the cabinets, you will end up with more than $9,100.00 worth of cabinets. A grand total of OVER $34,000.00 worth of equipment for $900.00 with iPad or $499.00 already owning an iPad. So, looking at the numbers...it's a no brainer due to the fact that the iPB-10 is extremely well made and delivers beautiful tones. You're only limited by your own imagination... Rico

Well an amp does last you 20 years and longer... I see plenty of JCM800 from the 80s still running strong and plenty of Fender silverface amps from the 70s. I still have my TS9 that I bought back in 1998. Technology on the other hand goes through such extreme transformations that it can be difficult to create products with long-term compatibility. Apple no longer provides support or new compatible software for the Tiger OS from 2005 and Google in abandoning their support for the OS as well. That's only seven years ago. It's the same thing with iPhones and the iPad is not immune to that as well.

To DigiTech reps points about the target audience, I'm not going to disagree they created a niche product for a niche demographic. I'm not going to go out and buy an iPad, but like he said, the iPB was not targeted at me.

Also, Line 6 provides some of the best (if not the best) amp and effects modeling out right now. Granted they don't have the iPad interface, but their gear is not difficult to use and it's HALF the amount. Plus I don't have to worry about my iPad being obsolete in 4-5 years.

Don't get me wrong, I love DigiTech and I love their stomp boxes. I'm all for pushing technology with music gear, but at $400 for essentially a docking station with a few bottons completely dependent on the technology from a company that tries to abandon older technology as soon as possible... That's what I question.

Maybe if it was like $250 for the docking station and dependent on an a $200 tablet like the Kindle, Galaxy, or the new iPad mini ($250), then we're talking. You're price would be on par with your extremely successful competitors and you're bringing in a different level of technology.

Archived