MXR Distortion + (Current M-104)...any users?

Johansolo

• Members

bit of a CSB...but My Parent-in-laws are holidaying in Japan at the moment...Wife told me that her mum emailed saying how her Dad bought me a pedal!!!

Its...

MC_MXR-104.jpg

My Father-in-law plays guitar too...and was apparently really excited in picking this one out for me...as he knows i like

• Members

Don't play one, but how could MXR mess up this circuit?

Unless they went with the original bypass.

Its a great pedal, but the new ones sound a bit brighter than the originals. I have two from the 70's that I seem to use on every recording I do at this point and I would use a RI on my live board.

• Members

Its a great pedal, but the new ones sound a bit brighter than the originals. I have two from the 70's that I seem to use on every recording I do at this point and I would use a RI on my live board.

im familiar with the dist+/DOD250 circuits...i and tend to favour the 250 more and used one as a booster into a crucnhy amp...but

my memory is hazy REthe dist+ sound...but i think it was a bit more compresed?

how do you find the RI for boosting purposes? im not a snob and will find a way to intergrate this into one of my setup/boards...and brighter...i can live with...its easier to tame it than add brightness IMO

cant seem to find any gut shots...safe to assume SMD components, even theres not many components?

• Members

I've got one of the recent reissues and it's truly meh. I still have it on my board, but only because I haven't decided what to get instead.

Oh, and I find it sort of an anti-boost. There's a real fine edge between it being below unity gain with a decent distorted tone and getting above unity gain but getting crap tone in exchange.

• Members

Does it tell us if you play guitar or bass?

I actually like the tone with both.

I'm an unusual player in that I play with both pickups on, with the neck pickup really high. With the MXR, I get a pretty unique tone. With other guitars, like my Jazzmaster, it can be too harsh, but with my Gibsons and Strat it sounds great. It's great for boosting leads too, actually. When I had a Marshall, it gave the lead channel such a creamy, warm tone that I've never heard anyone else have. The best comparison would be if you mixed Robert Fripp with Billy Gibbons.

• Members

im familiar with the dist+/DOD250 circuits...i and tend to favour the 250 more and used one as a booster into a crucnhy amp...but

my memory is hazy REthe dist+ sound...but i think it was a bit more compresed?

how do you find the RI for boosting purposes? im not a snob and will find a way to intergrate this into one of my setup/boards...and brighter...i can live with...its easier to tame it than add brightness IMO

cant seem to find any gut shots...safe to assume SMD components, even theres not many components?

The Dist+ isn't a great booster, it doesn't have a whole lot of volume unless you change or pull out the Ge diode. I set my amp slightly dirty and it sounds great.

• Members

^ what I mean by boosting is pedal output cranked and gain lowish into an amp thats already crunchy... Not for more volume but moreso compression/saturation.Anyways im starting to recollect the unity gain or lack thereoff and already have some ideas RE: a gut/rebuild.

Just watched a pgs demo and andy was rocking out some Alice in chains with

The dist+ ... Im a sucker for all things AIC

• Members

^ what I mean by boosting is pedal output cranked and gain lowish into an amp thats already crunchy... Not for more volume but moreso compression/saturation.Anyways im starting to recollect the unity gain or lack thereoff and already have some ideas RE: a gut/rebuild.

Just watched a pgs demo and andy was rocking out some Alice in chains with

The dist+ ... Im a sucker for all things AIC

I leave the gain dimed and it gets just above unity. Its a super quiet pedal.

• Members

I was truly in love with the sound with the gain backed off to zero and the volume pumped.. but it was significantly quieter than when bypassed so it had to go... in hindsight having a TB loop and a boss FA-1 i should have kept it for tonal/volume nirvana.

• Members

yeah he paid around $100AUD...the RRP here in AUS is around $150...ebay US price posted is around $80.

bugger.

got the pedal today. the thing SUCKS on an amps clean channel. the bypass tone suck is really noticable.

its not too bad going into my JCA20 thats run crunchy (gain around half) output of the pedal still has to be cranked...and the gain around half.

this thing is getting gutted. i hate side mounted power jacks so the plan is to re build a Dist +(i already have a DOD250) circuit with the output permanently set to max.

then ill build a dual micro amp (2 of them out of the one chip ala tonepad) placing one pre and post. the pre will have a preset boost and ill put a toggle in place of where the power jack is to engage it...and the post will be permanantely on and have a control that will in the empty output position.

now to try and make this all fit...

• Members

yeah he paid around $100AUD...the RRP here in AUS is around $150...ebay US price posted is around $80.

bugger.

got the pedal today. the thing SUCKS on an amps clean channel. the bypass tone suck is really noticable.

its not too bad going into my JCA20 thats run crunchy (gain around half) output of the pedal still has to be cranked...and the gain around half.

this thing is getting gutted. i hate side mounted power jacks so the plan is to re build a Dist +(i already have a DOD250) circuit with the output permanently set to max.

then ill build a dual micro amp (2 of them out of the one chip ala tonepad) placing one pre and post. the pre will have a preset boost and ill put a toggle in place of where the power jack is to engage it...and the post will be permanantely on and have a control that will in the empty output position.

now to try and make this all fit...

he got a good deal then. I am sure a couple of mods and it will be great :)

I look forward to pics when you are done.

• Members

So how does the Distortion+ differ from the 250? The latter is louder and more useful as a boost?

I think the clipping diodes (silicon vs. germanium) are the main difference, although I could be mistaken. That would give them (slightly?) different overall sounds, but your assessment is pretty much right from what I've heard about the pedals; the DOD has less gain and more volume and the MXR has more gain and less volume.

Archived