Demeter vs. Fulltone vs. EQD tremolo thoughts? Comparisons?

uyotg

• Members

Trying to decide between these three. What do you think and why?

The EQD looks awesome, but I'm somewhat biased. I've always wanted an EQD pedal but

haven't yet because I was only looking for an octave pedal back then, and their Bit Commander and Organizer, while awesome, are pretty specific to their intended sounds.

The Catalinbread Semaphore and Empress Effects trem look awesome, but I think I want something with simpler controls with a relatively wide range of sound. Any other great, simple trems out there like these? No budget, just to see what's out there for now.

Think the Red Witch Medusa has a place among here?

Thanks

• Members

Not familiar with the Earthquaker offering, but I am familiar with the Vox Repeat Percussion it's based on, much more of an overt effect, harder and choppy-er, with more of a square wave swell, not as smooth as a amp-like trem.

The Demeter and the Fulltone are same circuit, the differences come down to the extra-options for the Fulltone, the enclosure size, and whatever brand of components each uses. In deciding between them, I would go with the one that offers the options you want and/or fits where you want on a pedal-board. While Demeter advertises it's based around the idea for a Fender Brownface-style trem, what the Demeter and Fulltone do well is pretty much that quintessential Fender Blackface/Silverface style trem.

• Members

Not to confuse you, but another to consider perhaps, is the JHS Honey Comb Deluxe. I'm reviewing now for PGS, and I have really fallen in love with the tone of this tremolo. It's a 2 speed tremolo, but super easy to use, just a depth and volume control besides the 2 speed knobs. It is definitely in the Blackface tremolo camp like the Fulltone (also a big fan of) and Demeter (which I have not used). 2 benefits: small board space, and with the depth rolled back, and volume up, it makes a really nice boost pedal too.

• Members

Actually, I just discovered another Catalinbread Semaphore, but it's vertical, smaller, and has less functions. The JHS also looks like a really user-friendly pedal.

I guess it would be cool to be able to switch between the general smooth and the choppy waveforms, but any more complex than that like the bigger Semaphore is too complex. That said, I think the ideal trem for me would be:

- A switch between two waves, just a general choppy one and a general smooth one

- Level, Depth, and Rate knobs

- Tap and different rhythm settings would be a plus

I don't know, still a hard choice. My ears are bad, and I don't notice much difference between them from the YouTube demos. Seems like they are all capable of greatness, and I'm not that tone-picky. Maybe I'll go with build quality, size, warranty, etc.

Edit: And, well, the other thing affecting my decision--I have a Red Witch Medusa coming on the way. I already have an Empress but wanted a trem, figured two in one would be awesome. But now I'm not sure about that.

• Members

The Fulltone Supatrem sounds great. I played on one through a Carr Rambler once and it was the best trem tones I have ever gotten. If I had to go with another trem that is stripped down I'd either get one of those or a used TR2 if my budget was really tight.

• Members

I have the EQD Hummingbird, and it's a pretty rad little trem. Well built, huge range of speed and depth, but as others have said, it's definitely more of a square wave/chop apparatus. Lots of cool sounds to be had, but I'm currently on the lookout for a more traditional amp-like trem.

• Members

Well, I went and bought a Hummingbird. As has been said, it's pretty noticeable. I like it. Maybe one day I'll like something more traditional and smooth, but this is my thing right now.

Thanks for all the input. I know it looks bad since I said from the beginning I was biased for the EQD, but honestly your advice has helped.

Archived