Is musical gear RECESSION Proof?? Are you still buyer gear?

Vintagekeys

• Members

Here we are again. I decided with the recession fully hear and in full effect, I decided to revisit a topic I polled the forum on 6 months ago when the Bush admin and pundits were still pushing back on the notion of the US being in a recession.

Now that its here (Global at that), my question is has the weakened US and/or World economy changed your gear purchasing habits or is gear recession proof and you are still buying as usual?

Eager to hear your thoughts!!!!

Remember to vote!!!

• Members

It's a good time to buy stuff, every store is throwing stuff out there way cheaper than before the recession. At least, that is my ridiculous way of seeing it.

I still buy gear, the financial crisis does not reach me at all luckily :)

• Members

I've started seeing ads lately for people selling music equipment to pay their rent. The big layoffs have just started over here in Europe. I think we haven't seen the full effects of the recession yet, especially not on music equipment which for many non-musicians are not essential and are among the things people can sell.

Maybe finally some of the insane prices for analogs will go down or at least not increase more. I have enough equipment already, but if I spot some classic synth (MKS-80, Jupiter8, Emulator II, Prophet5) or high-end analog outboard (EQs and compressors) for a low price, I will probably grab it.

• Members

I voted "slowed" because January has not been a disciplined month for me, but I'm stopped now that I've got the Blofeld on the way, which fills the last real "need" I had (poly synth). The economy is giving my job situation an extremely close shave, but I also have no space for new gear, and am feeling really good about the sonic power of the rig I've assembled over the last few months.

• Members

I'm not buying gear right now, mainly because I'm pretty happy with what I have right now. So, recession or not, I'm not in a gear-buying mode right now.

So, if the poll had "GOOD ECONOMY/BAD ECONOMY - I AM NOT BUYING GEAR RIGHT NOW" as a choice, that's what I would pick.

• Members

Lowered new gear buying budget to $1500 from $2000. Getting rid of boutique stuff for more practical solutions. Increased my software use. Put off the purchase of a TL Audio A2 for possible DJ gear instead (I may start DJing).

Making all these considerations as I plan to retire from the day job in 2010. I really want to do the music thing as a full time independent after I retire.

A party I attended last Saturday convinced me entertainers are very much needed to maintain good spirits in these times. :)

• Members

I'm not overly affected (yet). Personally I'm in the same position as I was 3, 6 or 9 months ago. I'll buy something if I find a bit of a bargain or have some serious G.A.S.

I'm going to be selling a few odds and ends shortly (Korg ES-1, Kaoss Pad 2 etc). Last thing I brought was a RE-20 Space Echo pedal a few weeks back, last major was a FR XS few months back. None of these decisions are in any way affected by the current financial climate.

• Members

I'm not buying gear right now, mainly because I'm pretty happy with what I have right now. So, recession or not, I'm not in a gear-buying mode right now.

I stopped at a couple music stores yesterday, took a look around and thought 'I like the stuff I've already got better than what's here'.

Nothing even tempted me.

I'm a lucky soul, I guess.

I'm at the point where, nothing new comes in until something goes to make space for it.

I'll be getting Cubase 5 when it's available, but as a maintainance update rather than a new purchase.

• Members

Now that its here (Global at that), my question is has the weakened US and/or World economy changed your gear purchasing habits or is gear recession proof and you are still buying as usual?

No real change at present. But probably in the distant future, yes. I anticipate slowing down more because I don't really need anything, and haven't even fully explored all I have got. :facepalm:

• Members

Here we are again. I decided with the recession fully hear and in full effect, I decided to revisit a topic I polled the forum on 6 months ago when the Bush admin and pundits were still pushing back on the notion of the US being in a recession.

Eager to hear your thoughts!!!!

Remember to vote!!!

I was going to buy a Haken Continuum, and a Symbolic Sound Paca this year, but decided it would be a bad idea in the current situation. I may try and sell some gear to finance the Continuum still and hold off on the kyma system (which I was probably going to do anyways), but isn't so easy to move gear anymore. Plus, I need to worry about saving money for my PhD now.

So yeah, it's had a pretty big effect.

-D

• Members

There's been some great deals lately - not just dealers cutting prices trying to move some inventory but also individuals who are selling off their gear to try to pay some bills.

I've been watching the deals go by and when something shows up that's just too good to pass up I buy it.

Archived