p0lymath

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Quote Originally Posted by tommyld

View Post

Ooh, want the p90 one too!

Big abalone inlays are pretty gross. Small dots okay.

But nothing's worse looking than real, in-the-shell abalone: http://ilovefuzz.com/viewtopic.php?f=188&t=28531 (Appears to be NSFW, but isn't. It's just nature.)

It may look gross there, but fresh abalone sliced thin, pounded, then quick sauteed in some butter is incredibly yummy.

I agree, though, not so tasty on a fretboard.

• Members

Abalone are rapidly disappearing from the ocean = very bad choice. Notwithstanding they are ugly, too.

I have the Valkyrie, an SG copy:

Geetar005.jpg

It was $239 when I got it, a little more now. Pups are surprisingly decent; the guitar is well made, well finished. I just ... am a Fender guy, so I don't play it as often, but when I do, I'm always amazed at what a damn good guitar it is.

SX is junk/project fodder.

• Members

So, my AL 2000 came and it is pretty awesome. Only thing is, it had a big crack in the binding on the neck :|. So, I'm just gonna exchange it. Otherwise, the thing is pretty freakin' rad. Plays super nice, well put together (minus the crack in the binding), and I actually REALLY like the pickups. The in between sound is freakin' great for Chet picking stuff.

• Members

"That Valkyrie is pretty hot! The body shape looks like an SG had a baby with a Strat, but it came out mostly SG. And I like it!

I don't see the Valkyrie on their site anymore... :/ "

Thanks! That's actually a bad pic -- it IS pretty hot. Lightweight, too (though of course there's a little nosedive from that ... just like a real SG). It's tilted to avoid a lawsuit, but it doesn't look dumb for that.

I went to the site and was bummed to see that indeed, they're no longer being offered. That's genuinely too bad - that's a really fun little guitar. Guess I won't get rid of it, then ... see, that's the funny thing, I know Agiles are NOT "all that" but people I know who have them do NOT want to flip/get rid of them very often; they get attached to them.

I love my bastardized SG; the wood grain is mellowing great (that pic was taken prior to June, 2006) and the neck profile is a shallow C ... just very playable. Good punch in the bridge pup.

My .02 is that if I could afford it, I'd strongly wish to get the 3000/3100 series LP copies.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Moustache_Bash

View Post

So, my AL 2000 came and it is pretty awesome. Only thing is, it had a big crack in the binding on the neck :|. So, I'm just gonna exchange it. Otherwise, the thing is pretty freakin' rad. Plays super nice, well put together (minus the crack in the binding), and I actually REALLY like the pickups. The in between sound is freakin' great for Chet picking stuff.

Got my replacement, way worse than the one before. Tons of blems. Going back again frown.gif I think I may just pony up the money for a real guitar.

Archived