Using a compressor with a dirty amp...

delayed delay

• Members

... Anyone here do it?

Thinking of picking up another Diamond Comp or possibly one of the new Xotic SP Compressors to help even out the notes in my clean tone... But my clean tone isn't pristinely clean; always has a bit of an edge to it. However, I also love the way a good compressor can just act subtly to help even or balance out your tone... I think the biggest reason I ditched the Diamond before was because I ran my amp too dirty. Well, I've since backed that off a bit, and I run a little cleaner now but there's still some crunch to it.

Anyone around here run their compressor into a dirty amp?

• Members

I like using an old MXR Dynacomp as a boost into a slight breakup gain on an amp. Gets lots of sustain without being too distorted. Similar to old 60's jangly overdriven guitars -You can play open chords that are defined but still dirty.
It takes some tweeking to find the sweet spot. Too much compression sounds like crap.

• Members

If you use compression as a real "effect" it's probably not a good idea.

I like comp in front of amp drive in some circumstances, light to moderate overdriven sounds. But that's only for really subtle use of compression that's not really meant to stand out. When used right it won't add hiss at all, just provide a little bit of clarity to the sound going into your amp, probably will level out the amount of grit in the sound which may or may not be what you want to go for.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by hooya View Post
If you use compression as a real "effect" it's probably not a good idea.

I like comp in front of amp drive in some circumstances, light to moderate overdriven sounds. But that's only for really subtle use of compression that's not really meant to stand out. When used right it won't add hiss at all, just provide a little bit of clarity to the sound going into your amp, probably will level out the amount of grit in the sound which may or may not be what you want to go for.
That's actually the exact reason I would want one. Clarity and evening things out. I definitely don't use compressors as an effect, just a little sweetening here and there. smile.gif

• Members

In my experience, a compressor into an overdriven amp will generally just make everything more fluid. However, it will cost you, to some extent, the whole "play light to get cleaner tones; play heavier to get some grit" touch sensitivity that many people thrive on.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by delayed delay View Post
That's actually the exact reason I would want one. Clarity and evening things out. I definitely don't use compressors as an effect, just a little sweetening here and there. smile.gif
Quote Originally Posted by DylanWilde View Post
In my experience, a compressor into an overdriven amp will generally just make everything more fluid. However, it will cost you, to some extent, the whole "play light to get cleaner tones; play heavier to get some grit" touch sensitivity that many people thrive on.
If you do just use it lightly you will still get plenty of good playing dynamics. If you can actually hear the compressor clamp down on the sound you have it set too much and you will lose the playing dynamics.

I have little experience with them, but from what I understand it's very difficult to get the Boss compressors to NOT do that clamp down thing, they're really an "effect" and aren't well designed for the more subtle use. I have a Flatline Compressor that I built, which is an optical comp, two knobs, which does this very well, although if I turn up the Threshold knob too much it will definitely Pop and you can hear the clamp. Maybe try the BBE Opto Stomp? Seems to be similar.

• Members

OK, here is my recent experience with adding a compressor back into my dirty setup.

I used to do the Trey Anastasio thing with a couple Tube Screamers before a Ross type compressor.

Stopped that and got into other forms of dirt. Eventually, I settled on amp dirt.

My new Mesa Mark V's 2nd channel is used for a slight dirty sound. I wanted to dial it in super thick for nice single note stuff but then rhythm work was too dark and murky. I found out where it sounded nice and warm/fat/grindy for rhythm and blues/funk/blah blah blah leads... I just sort of rocked it like this for a while and hit the front of the amp's 2nd channel when I wanted a bit "more" for leads.

After a while I realized I didn't like the way my slightly dirty channel sounded/felt when hit harder. I remember how compressor AFTER dirt, with just a slight compression and a lot of attack (to counter the increased gain whacking the front of the compressor, causing it to squash unless you increase the attack speed).

So I did what is the "wrong" thing to do and stuck my CMATMods Deluxe Compressor (ROSS type with a tone control and an attack knob) in my effects loop.

Now when I'm on that second channel and I want to boost volume (if desired) as well as add a ton of fatness and sustain, I hit that compressor... Which is now after my dirt, just like I like it. No more fizzyness caused when I hit the amp too hard for it's current EQ settings. No more lack of clarity because I have to darken the {censored} out of the boost pedal that's hitting the front end.

Give it a shot! I highly recommend a compressor with an attack knob for this type of situation for the previous mentioned problems.

• Members

Needs to be a fairly subtle compressor, IMO. Ross and MXR types tend to squish too much, even at minimum sustain settings. I liked my Diamond, PGC, FGC and Empress in front of dirt. Can't set the sustain too high on the Diamond or Empress though if you want to keep the noise down and keep some dynamics.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by tronus View Post
OK, here is my recent experience with adding a compressor back into my dirty setup.

I used to do the Trey Anastasio thing with a couple Tube Screamers before a Ross type compressor.

Stopped that and got into other forms of dirt. Eventually, I settled on amp dirt.

My new Mesa Mark V's 2nd channel is used for a slight dirty sound. I wanted to dial it in super thick for nice single note stuff but then rhythm work was too dark and murky. I found out where it sounded nice and warm/fat/grindy for rhythm and blues/funk/blah blah blah leads... I just sort of rocked it like this for a while and hit the front of the amp's 2nd channel when I wanted a bit "more" for leads.

After a while I realized I didn't like the way my slightly dirty channel sounded/felt when hit harder. I remember how compressor AFTER dirt, with just a slight compression and a lot of attack (to counter the increased gain whacking the front of the compressor, causing it to squash unless you increase the attack speed).

So I did what is the "wrong" thing to do and stuck my CMATMods Deluxe Compressor (ROSS type with a tone control and an attack knob) in my effects loop.

Now when I'm on that second channel and I want to boost volume (if desired) as well as add a ton of fatness and sustain, I hit that compressor... Which is now after my dirt, just like I like it. No more fizzyness caused when I hit the amp too hard for it's current EQ settings. No more lack of clarity because I have to darken the shit out of the boost pedal that's hitting the front end.

Give it a shot! I highly recommend a compressor with an attack knob for this type of situation for the previous mentioned problems.
Hmmm... Very interesting... I will definitely give this a shot. Thanks for the tip and great job at explaining it clearly. thumb.gif

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by mmolteratx

View Post

Needs to be a fairly subtle compressor, IMO. Ross and MXR types tend to squish too much, even at minimum sustain settings. I liked my Diamond, PGC, FGC and Empress in front of dirt. Can't set the sustain too high on the Diamond or Empress though if you want to keep the noise down and keep some dynamics.

As stated in the OP, it definitely would be a subtle compressor... But I'm probably leaning towards the Xotic SP Compressor. By most accounts so far, it can be dialed in quite subtly. If not that, I'll probably go back to the Diamond.

Archived